Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Based ACtive/Standby Failiver on ciso ASA 5540

chetansharma
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Can we configure LAN based active/standby failover on cisco asa 5540. Firewall is in routed mode with single context and i want to use managment interface to configure failover.Please suggest and step to configure the failover.

Thank You

Chetan

6 Replies 6

Kent Heide
Level 1
Level 1

As per Cisco documentation, the use of the Management interface for failover is not recommended.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00807dac5f.shtml

You can also use that guide to learn how to configure the failover. Happy reading :-)

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Are you wishing to configure the Active/Standby via the Management port or monitor this interface as part of the failover?  If the latter then it's not recommended, the firewalls will changes roles should these interfaces change state, which you really don't want happening.  Let me know how you get on on the link provided in the other post, I have configure 2 ASA 5520 in Active/Standby mode and they work just great

Hi,

Actually i dont have any more interface to configure failover , thats why i have to use managment interface to configure failover, my question is this can it work when firewall is in routed mode with single context mode,i want to configure stateful lan based active/standby failover.

From the above document my understanding says tht we can configure it, and actually i had configured it but when my active firewall goes down standby will take over but my application which are running in intranet and internet zones are not working.

The configuration of primary firewall replicates to the secondary when it goes down and i also confirmed these and and all the interfaces is up but my websites which are in dmz and inside zones are not working when primary firewall goes down.

Can you post your configure for your interfaces and do a "sh failover" and post here please.

Hi,

Please find attached configuration file.

Thank You

Your interfaces don't seem to have standby IP's, please post "sh run | i monitor" and post your ASA interfaces to see how you have configured them.

Rate if helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card