Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing CUCM Naming

bigcappa1
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

A request for advice on changing the names of the CUCM sections such as the CM group, Hunt lists, partitions, CSS etc.

The naming convention on our CUCM cluster is really a mess courtesy of the original vendor who configured it.We have a core site and three remote sites and all have them have been configured differently, I kid you not.

There are two things I want to do first thing is to standardise my naming convention. Essentially I have to change everything on the CUCM to do this. The servers themselves are based on IP address so not changing them but everything else I will be standardising.I am not changing the name of the physical server either just the CUCM configuration naming scheme

I have loaded a backup copy into VMWARE to test this out and on certain sections such as CUCM group, regions partitions etc when the name is changed it requires a reset but there is no major issue and all seems to be ok. That's fair enough, but can I do this successfully to a live system (obviously during an outage window) or are there any gotchas with changing the names of everything that I should know about. if this will cause issues then I may leave as is

The second thing is that with the names changed I am wanting to move the line/device approach for the PTs and CSS but again would like to change the naming convention before adjusting this. I am sure all will work but I want to make sure that by changing the convention all will be ok.

The current PTs and CSS setup is yes you guessed it, a mess so want to put it in the Line/Device model to asisst with the growth of adding additional sites.

So any feedback/advise on change the naming convention of the configuration and moving to a Line/Device setup on a live system would be much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

4 Replies 4

vivkalra
Level 1
Level 1

No worries to change the name conventions .

If the current names a re not very structured and self expalanatory it is always good to have the nomenclature

in such a way that you can know where to asscociate just by the name.

Only consideratios are with changing the Hostname and IP address of the call managers because that

wouls break the replication in the cluster.

However there is a recommended procedure to change that

Here is the link with the steps to do that :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_1_2/ipchange/ipchg712.html

However be assured that changing the names of partitons and CSS or other nomenclature including the RP, TP etc

will not cause any problem.

I concur, there should be no issues changing the names, I would suggest reset things that require resets after making such changes, for example Route Lists, etc.

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

Callmanager groups and Device pools etc force a reset anyway so I have no way round this. It is recommended for the Route Lists etc but not forced, but will do it anyway once all the config is completed the way I want it.

Many thanks for you feedback

Paul

Vivek,

Thats how am I am am planning on doing it, I have a good nomenclature inplace that allows me to associate function site and purpose etc. The current set up has different naming schemes for 3 out of 4 sites, the Partitions and CSS are also named differently, The system was built by the same VAR so is hard to understand why they did it this way. But I want to standardise so we can add sites quicker and uniformly, I also want to introduce the line/device approach to cut down on config and to make it quicker for the admins to do the adds and changes. Currently we have a very disjointed set up, one site has a granular traditional build another has emergency or full access nothing inbetween. Plus want to take advantage of the local route groups configuration

I am aware there can be issues with changing the server name or the IP address, so wasnt looking at this just  the nomenclature (or lack of it at the moment). My concern was the resets, but i can do this at a weekend to avoid too much downtime.

Many thanks for the excellent feedback 5 stars to you sir.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: