First Time Metro Install

Unanswered Question

I have metro ethernet handoffs at each of my offices. HQ and 4 remote sites. I also have 3COM 2250 L2 switches at each location. How do I need to connect HQ to all the remote sites? I do not have routers at the remotes but do have a Cisco 2600 at HQ which is the default gateway. I plugged the HQ ethernet cable into the 3com switch at HQ and then the cable at one remote office to test. The ISP provider Optimum Lightpath could see to way broadcast traffic, but I was unable to ping from one end to another?  What am I missing.  I was told the connectivity can be done without routers as long as I have layer 2 switches.

Bob 

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Tue, 12/01/2009 - 14:33

Hello Bob,

a possible way  to provide logical links for a L2 provider is to use a different Vlan-id for each remote site.

so for example vlan 10 could remote site1, vlan 20 remote site2 and so on.

from provider documentation it would be important to learn if, and it is likely, at least central office switch port should be configured as a L2 trunk carrying the required vlans one for each remote site.

Another L2 trunk could connect the central site switch to the C2600 that could then perform inter vlan routing.

So you need to understand this from your ISP documentation.

Then, you need to look at 3Com switches documentation to see how their ports can be configured as L2 trunks.

remote site switches may be just plug and play or not, again depending on service specifications.

Edit:

I've found following website for a NY based provider

http://www.optimumlightpath.com/

but I couldn't find technical details.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion