Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus

huntlee
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all Cisco Gurus,

I need help on quoting 4 x brand new Cisco Nexus 7000... does anyone have any sample Build of Materials in terms of part numbers and sample design since Nexus doesn't have firewalls???

Currently, the client's 6509s has the following modules:-

Mod Ports Card Type                                           Model            

--- ----- --------------------------------------                    ------------------

1    6  Firewall Module                                 WS-SVC-FWM-1      
  2    4  CEF720 4 port 10-Gigabit Ethernet      WS-X6704-10GE     
  3   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6748-SFP      

4   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6748-SFP      
  5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)                WS-SUP720-3B      
  6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)             WS-SUP720-3B      

7   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX   

Would appreciated any help.  I have spent a lot of time on this but not able to get anywhere so far.

Cheers,

Hunt

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

huntlee@ibm wrote:

Dear all Cisco Gurus,

I need help on quoting 4 x brand new Cisco Nexus 7000... does anyone have any sample Build of Materials in terms of part numbers and sample design since Nexus doesn't have firewalls???

Currently, the client's 6509s has the following modules:-

Mod Ports Card Type                                           Model            

--- ----- --------------------------------------                    ------------------

1    6  Firewall Module                                 WS-SVC-FWM-1      
  2    4  CEF720 4 port 10-Gigabit Ethernet      WS-X6704-10GE     
  3   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6748-SFP      

4   48  CEF720 48 port 1000mb SFP             WS-X6748-SFP      
  5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)                WS-SUP720-3B      
  6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)             WS-SUP720-3B      

7   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX   

Would appreciated any help.  I have spent a lot of time on this but not able to get anywhere so far.

Cheers,

Hunt

Hunt

Not sure what you are asking. Are you looking to replace the above 6500 switches with 4 x Nexus 7000. And if so presumably the one thing you are having a problem with is the FWSM ?

If so there is no equivalent module for the Nexus switch. If you need firewalling but are getting rid of the 6500 switches then you will need to look at the ASA firewalls instead -

ASA comparison sheet

If you really do need the sort of throughput the FWSM provides then you will need to consider the 5580 models.

Does this answer your question ?

Edit - design wise you would have a pair of ASA 55xx firewalls connecting back to the Nexus 7000 switches and all the vlans you wanted to firewall would have their L3 interfaces on the ASAs. You can run active/active or active/standby just as on the FWSM. The ASAs also support transparent/routed mode and single/multiple context.

Depending on the number of vlan interfaces you have used on the FWSM you may need to use 802.1q trunks from the Nexus to some of the ASA interfaces.

Jon

Jon,

Yes, you answered part of the question.

What I want to know as well is what part codes in terms of the Nexus 7000 I should used which would offer same functionaliy to cover for all the modules and the supervisors e.g. the fiber SFP modules (WS-X6748-SFP), the Gigabit Eth module (WS-X6704-10GE), as well as the Supervisor module (WS-SUP720-3B).

Appreciated your help again  =)

Cheers,

Hunt

huntlee@ibm wrote:

Jon,

Yes, you answered part of the question.

What I want to know as well is what part codes in terms of the Nexus 7000 I should used which would offer same functionaliy to cover for all the modules and the supervisors e.g. the fiber SFP modules (WS-X6748-SFP), the Gigabit Eth module (WS-X6704-10GE), as well as the Supervisor module (WS-SUP720-3B).

Appreciated your help again  =)

Cheers,

Hunt

Hunt

Use this page as a starting point -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/products_data_sheets_list.html

it has links for data sheets for both the supervisor and equivalent copper/fibre modules. Part numbers are at the bottom of each data sheet.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: