Router as a DNS Server configuration (urgent)

Unanswered Question

hi,

there are 3 routers connected to a switch (R1 1.1.1.1 acting as host, R2 1.1.1.2 as dns server, R3 1.1.1.3 ip i want to ping)... Following si the R1 config...

R1(config)#ip name-server 192.168.3.80

R1(config)#ip domain name yourdomain.com

following is the R2 (dns server) config

R2(config)# ip dns server

R2(config)# ip domain name yourdomain.com

R2(config)# ip host ccmip 1.1.1.3

and configured only IP on R3 router when on R1 i ping ccmip.. the ping is successful.. but when i replace pc with R1.. the ping is unsuccessful...R2 is unable to resolve the address.. there is no domain system.,.. i think i need to create domain setup.......any idea about it!!!

Regards

Naresh

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Sat, 11/28/2009 - 05:44
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

[email protected]

hi,

there are 3 routers connected to a switch (R1 1.1.1.1 acting as host, R2 1.1.1.2 as dns server, R3 1.1.1.3 ip i want to ping)... Following si the R1 config...

R1(config)#ip name-server 192.168.3.80

R1(config)#ip domain name yourdomain.com

following is the R2 (dns server) config

R2(config)# ip dns server

R2(config)# ip domain name yourdomain.com

R2(config)# ip host ccmip 1.1.1.3

and configured only IP on R3 router when on R1 i ping ccmip.. the ping is successful.. but when i replace pc with R1.. the ping is unsuccessful...R2 is unable to resolve the address.. there is no domain system.,.. i think i need to create domain setup.......any idea about it!!!

Regards

Naresh

Naresh

Are saying it works from R1 but not from a PC ?

If so simply add the DNS domain name and DNS IP address to the PCs IP configuration just as you did on R1.  If the PC is getting an IP address from a DHCP server then you will need to update the DHCP with the DNS details.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion