Helpful
Replies

Viewing devices by hostnames in DCR

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

Just one quick question:

Is there a possibility to see the display name of the devices as the hostnames?

I am right now seeing only IP addresses.

The settings i chose are "Preferred DCR Display Name" being "Hostname" and the "Preferred Management IP" being "None".

I dont have a DNS to do the name to ip resolution for the devices.

But i still thinking if there is a possibility to see the hostnames instead of IP addresses in the DCR as the hostnames appear more readable.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you choose loopbacks, then Discovery will pick the loopback with the highest IP, and use that for the preferred management address (and that will be the IP address it looks up to get a hostname).

Whatever you decide, you will have to do a new Discovery, and you will have to make sure you've enabled the option to update the DCR display name.  Only then will the display names be changed to reflect the hostnames.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have two choices.  You can either add all of your devices to the server's local hosts file, or you can manually configure each device's display name to your liking.

If you add the device's to the hosts file, then choose a preferred management IP scheme which will find the correct entries.  Either loopback or sysName is probably best.

Dear Jason,

I have two loopback addresses per device viz. private and public loopback.

So i believe that discovery by sysname should be better.

I have discovered these devices using ping sweep module with the ip range being on their private loopbacks.

So i hope they would have been added to the DCR with their private loopbacks only. I dont have a chance to check it now but tomorrow morning i will check it again.

I will add to the local dns file and see how it goes. But should i do a rediscovery again or will the dcr get updated automatically?

Just one more question out of curiosity, if i could go beyond the scope of my original question.

When i discovered with ping sweep, i was prompted with the seed devices and the include/exclude filters.

When i gave the seed device and the include address filters, i noticed (wireshark capture) that the ping sweep was only happening on the seed device and not on the include address filters.

When i removed the original seed device ip address and just put in the ip addresses (which i put earlier in the include filter), then i was able to see that it was doing a ping sweep and also a snmpget to the device.

I am not sure why you need a seed device for ping sweep module? It seems to make sense for cdp module but i dont see why you need seed device for ping sweep module.

Thanks a lot

Gautam

If you choose loopbacks, then Discovery will pick the loopback with the highest IP, and use that for the preferred management address (and that will be the IP address it looks up to get a hostname).

Whatever you decide, you will have to do a new Discovery, and you will have to make sure you've enabled the option to update the DCR display name.  Only then will the display names be changed to reflect the hostnames.

Thanks a lot Jason. Your tip worked like a charm

Thanks a lot again

Gautam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: