cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ProtectLink with SA540

gregh
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for a home user to use theTrendeMicro ProtectLink service with a SA540 without setting up an email server?  I am using this router in my home with Verizon FIOS with their email.  If it is possible could I please get instructions on how to set it up.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

6 Replies 6

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You sure can.  Web Reputation Filtering and COntent filtering can be enabled with or without the email filtering.

This explains what it is and how its licensed.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-11462

Here is how to set it up:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-11714

Steve D

But what if I want to also use the email screening service of the ProtectLink?  Is that possible under my existing setup?  If not what would be the simpliest way to add to my current setup to allow for the email screening.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Yes, you can add email protection to an existing setup of either or both URL Filtering and Web Reputation.   ALl three are included in one license.

I believe you will find a screen shot on your SA500 GUI under PROTECT LINK:  EMAIL PROTECTION: (as indicated in the link I provided above)"

Email Protection
Email Protection
Email Protection (Trend Micro™ InterScan Messaging Hosted Security) delivers high-performance, cost-effective hosted security services that protect businesses from spam, viruses, and inappropriate content before they reach the network through email messages.
To access IMHS, go to                 http://us.imhs.trendmicro.com/cisco
© 2009 Trend Micro Incorporated. All rights reserved.

click that link....

during your activation of your current license, you also received the email about doing EMAIL later:
TMPLG-EMAIL.GIF

I am still confused. Below is the system requirements from the CISCO PDF file.  From reading other information on the TrendMicro ProtectLink there is discussion of redirecting the email etc. via the MX record which I do not have the capability to do so.  So given the below I am still confused on how a home user can get the email protection with the ProtectLink.

Specifications

Table 1 gives the specifications for the Cisco ProtectLink Gateway product and Table 2 provides detailed ordering

information.

Table 1.

Specifications for the Cisco ProtectLink Gateway

Specifications

Supported devices

Cisco SA 500 Series Security Appliances, Cisco RVS4000 4-Port Gigabit Security Router, Cisco WRVS4400N

Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router, Cisco RV042 Dual WAN VPN Router, Cisco RV082 Dual WAN VPN Router,

Cisco RV016 Multi WAN VPN Router

Minimum Requirements

Supported Cisco security appliance or router  (I HAVE THIS)

Internal business mail server (Exchange, Notes, Domino, etc.) (I DO NOT HAVE THIS)

Access to DNS mail exchange records for MX mail hosting redirection (AS FAR AS I KNOW I DO NOT HAVE THIS CAPABILITY)

Internet Explorer version 6.0 or 7.0 or later or Mozilla Firefox version 1.0 or 1.5 or later (I HAVE THIS)

Thanks,

Greg

Oh, now I understand.    I am sorry about that....

So if you dont have Authoritative DNS ownership for your mail domain, then no, this will not work out of the box.  In this case, dont use that part.

This is not to say you cant approach your ISP and ask them if they can do something for you email, but doubt that highly.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the quick replies.  I do own several domain names and maybe I can work with my domain registars and see if they can do something as far as pointing the MX record and making the TrenMicro solution work and using email from them..

Greg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: