I'm running a Cisco 871 router in a LAN WAN setup. Nat, site-to-site VPN, Firewalling, etc. The problem is that the router stops forwarding traffic at random. The only way to fix this issue is to reboot the router using the console / powerswitch. Symptoms are as following:
- Router response times suddenly go through the roof (up to 1000 msec) until, after a few minutes, the router becomes totally unresponsive.
- After the router crashes, it cannot be pinged at all.
- When I connect a console cable to the router, I can use it like normal.
- show proc cpu hist -> normal cpu load.
- counters on interfaces do not increment.
- logging does not show any strange output.
- shut/no shut on an interface has no success
- ping from the router to another device does not work.
I've tried several advsecurity IOS versions, 124-15T 124-24T. All the versions have the same symptoms.
Anyone any idea?