Views
Helpful
Replies

Same Private AS number on two seperate MPLS provider networks

bjrogers
Level 1
Level 1

To All,

I have a customer utilizing private AS number 65100 when attaching to MPLS Carrier A.

The customer decides at each location he wants to add a second router and a second carrier for redundancy - and also wants to utilize the same private AS number (65100) when attaching to MPLS Carrier B.

The CE's would only be utilizing network statements through eBGP to advertise subnets to each carrier and only run one way redistribution from eBGP to the IGP at each location.

Would there be any circumstance why Carrier B could not accomodate AS 65100 on their network - even if another customer is already utilizing AS 65100 on Carrier B's network?

I am very certain that two seperate customers can utilize the same private AS number on Carrier B's MPLS network.  Please advise if I am correct (or not).

Thank You,

Brian

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Brian,

your understanding is correct there are no technical reasons that would prevent ISPB to accept the customer to use private AS 65100.

There can be other possible reasons like ISP policies (they may be used to assign a private AS number to customer) and procedures.

Hope to help

Giuseppe