7970 screen

Unanswered Question
Nov 30th, 2009

How do you change how quickly the color screen goes blank unti someone touches the phone or a call comes in.

It seems like a power save mode or something.

Client would like phones to go blank in off hours.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Mon, 11/30/2009 - 12:36

Editing Post (I apologize for the incomplete answer)

On the phone itself....  Settings --> Device Configuration --> Power Save Configuration....maybe?

So you cant edit this behavior on the phone.  In fact, this screen behavior is buried pretty deep inside phone configuration in CME telephone service.

Look here, but read all the comments to the post, as it seems this isnt a dependable configuration, and maybe error prone as well.

I will ask internally to see what we have to share here....

7bridgesol Tue, 12/01/2009 - 06:13

I have tried that and no way to change.  Only thing available is exit.  I have tried **#, but still gives me now way to change the timeouts

Steven DiStefano Tue, 12/01/2009 - 06:45

OK I found a few Cisco references we can try as I wait to hear back from a internal email I sent a few minutes ago....

This one is for 7931 phones only (true back light).

The CME command reference explains other 'service phone' commands to make this happen (go to table 17) on Luminous phone types (backlight commands dont apply to these):

This will require phone resets and recreating configuration files for phones, so try in a non production environment first.

Steven DiStefano Tue, 12/01/2009 - 07:07
The backlight was (at least originally) specifically for the  7931 - which physically has an independent backlight. Other phones like the 7970  don't have an independent backlight - the display is luminous. On a 7931 if you  turn the backlight off - you can still read the display using ambient light. On  a 7970, when it's off - you can't read anything.
So for the 7970 - it's the other display commands that work,  see the other display parameters in the "service phone" command  ref I included above (Table 17):
for example daysDisplayNotActive

This Discussion