Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring WAN Simulator with WAAS

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I have a remote site in Pune India and I am trying to set up a WAN simulator to simulate the WAN link with WAAS to Pune. Below is the topology and questions.

Server farm <-- WAN simulator PC --> 3750 layer 3 switch <-- client PCs

Questions:

1 - Where would I place the WAAS device ?

2 - I only have one spare WAE for this test. Can this scenario work with only one WAE ? or do I need two WAEs (one on each side) for WAAS to work ?

3 - Do I need a Central Controller for WAAS to function ?

Thanks in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!

Danny

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

rvavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danny,

You need Two WAE Devices, one at Branch site and second at Data Center site for WAAS to optimize traffic across the WAN.

WAAS optimization always happens between two WAE devices. You can have more than one WAE at each site based on traffic volume and other network factors.

You also need Central Manager to manage WAE's, their policies and for reporting.

This link provides Technical overview of WAAS software version 4.1,
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6870/prod_white_paper0900aecd8051d5b2.html

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Rahul

View solution in original post

rvavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danny,

On the second WAE, you need to configure WCCP just like its configured on first WAE. And WCCP will
redirect traffic to both of these WAE's.

There are Two Algorithms for redirecting traffic,
- Hash
- Mask

WCCP intercepted traffic is forwarded to WAE based on bucket placement algorithm, hashing or masking with
IP addresses.

This link explains on wccp redirection,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/WAASDC11.html#wp95583

Attached pdf file explains in detail on wccp and redirection methods,

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Rahul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rvavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danny,

You need Two WAE Devices, one at Branch site and second at Data Center site for WAAS to optimize traffic across the WAN.

WAAS optimization always happens between two WAE devices. You can have more than one WAE at each site based on traffic volume and other network factors.

You also need Central Manager to manage WAE's, their policies and for reporting.

This link provides Technical overview of WAAS software version 4.1,
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/contnetw/ps5680/ps6870/prod_white_paper0900aecd8051d5b2.html

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your reponse !!! I have another question for you. Currently I have 4 remote sites in my production WAAS network and I am planning on adding a few more remote sites in the near future and to handle the additional remote sites I am planning on adding one more WAE at the data center site. I would like to find out how to redirect traffic at the data center when you have more than one WAEs and currently I am using WCCP for traffic interception. Does WCCP load balance traffic by default ? is there any special configuration on the routers or the WAEs for traffic load balancing ?

Thanks again Rahul !!! I appreciate your help !!!

Danny

rvavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Danny,

On the second WAE, you need to configure WCCP just like its configured on first WAE. And WCCP will
redirect traffic to both of these WAE's.

There are Two Algorithms for redirecting traffic,
- Hash
- Mask

WCCP intercepted traffic is forwarded to WAE based on bucket placement algorithm, hashing or masking with
IP addresses.

This link explains on wccp redirection,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Data_Center/WAASDC11.html#wp95583

Attached pdf file explains in detail on wccp and redirection methods,

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Rahul

Hi Rahul !!

Thank you very much !!! I very much appreciate your help !!!

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: