cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

School Network Switches and Routers

cogneto54
Level 1
Level 1

Doing an assignment where I need to set up a school districts WAN and LANs and I am not very familiar with what would make a router/switch better suited for these situations. Could someone please help me.
I have a  set up a WAN consisting 27 schools and the LANS are 200 computers each, four subnets, I want to use either 2 routers per school with 4 switches OR 4 routers to break up the subnets and offer redundancy possibly still with 4 switches.
Can someone suggest the actual hardware models that may be suited for this and why?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it not a heavy traffic then i would suggest to go with 1800 or 2800 series routers with 2960 G series switches for your setup.

Regards

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the type of traffic which will flow across the network and amount of bandwidth allotted for eac

h school.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Its not heavy traffic, students using using the network and internet, and database traffic$ running from schools to a central office in the WAN.
Traffic isnt heavy and dont have a set bandwidth alloted to each school

If it not a heavy traffic then i would suggest to go with 1800 or 2800 series routers with 2960 G series switches for your setup.

Regards

Ganesh.H

Thanks Ganesh,  most helpful

The 800 series are also not viable:  870(W), 860(W), 880(W), 890(W).

I know you are saying the the traffic will not be heavy. But please remember that it is students that will be accessing the internet and they will try all sorts when the teacher back is turned.

Hi Cameron,

I'm currently looking after >150 public school sites for the state government.  They are currently using c871 ISRs and the only thing that's slowing their access to the internet is the infernal cost for DSL lines.  Other than that, the students and staff can surf the internet and/or do their emails and stuffs without any major issues.

If you financial budget allows your organization, then 1800/1900 or 2800/2900 routers with 2960, or 2975 L2 switches would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: