cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7960: Unmanaged 5-port hub plugged on output of phone?

BassMan99
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7960 in my office with the ethernet line plugged into my computer, and it works fine, but...

...I tried plugging a 5-port Linksys unmanaged switch to the output, and it does not work.  I took the 5-port unmanaged switch home, and it works fine.

Is there something "funny" about the ethernet line out of the phone that prevents sharing the line between 2 computers?

Help!  We just moved into a new office, and resolving this would help a number of us (including those 2 to an office).

Note: I can't have the 5-port switch *before* the phone, because the phone gets power from the ethernet connection.

6 Replies 6

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

I'd say talk to your system administrator.  There are probably measures in place to prevent unmanaged devices from being plugged into the network, and for a very good reason.

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Internal to the phone is an Ethernet switch.  Depending on your

Linksys switch you might need a crossover cable.

Good Luck,

Art

It's a new 10/100 Linksys 5-port switch.  One of the ports is crossover, which I was using.

It's weird - If I used my laptop (or PC) plugged directly into the phone, then added the Linksys unmanaged switch, that one laptop/PC worked OK.  The problem came when I added a second PC/laptop.  The second wouldn't work.

No luck with "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew".

Again, the switch works fine at home (plugged-in to output of home D-Link router).

It does sound like your org may be running some type of port security which may be extended to the phone.  I have daisy chai

ned multiple phones together in a lab and they work just fine, which would also stack multiple MAC addresses on the same switch port.  Do you have access to the switch configuration?

I don't have access to the comms room.  I'm an IT guy, but not that part of IT.

We'll eventually get more lines run to our offices, but I was looking for a "stop-gap" solution until they bought more cards/ports in the comms room.  Right now, they don't have enough...

It sounds like they have :

switchport port-security maximum value

configured on the port - The default value is 1.  If they took this line out it should allow you to use the unmanaged switches  - at least until they get more lines pulled for you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: