Configuring a wvc2300 to work with an IR lamp (and other bits)

Answered Question
Dec 1st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi

I've recently purchased a wvc2300, and i'm having a little trouble configuring it to do what I want it to. I've also purchased a nightime IR lamp to provide visibility in darkness. I want to be able to configure different "events" to run at different times, and store the media onto a NAS hard drive, I don't really want to have to use a PC, but have the camera store the images directly. So;

1/. between 7am and 7pm, i'd like the camera to email me when it detects motion, but also record the whole footage onto a samba / Cifs share. (i've worked out the motion bit)

2/. at 3.45pm i've set the camera to go into night mode, untill 7am the next day. I'd like to be able to configure one of the IO outputs to also come on at the same time, to power the Lamp. I thought you could configure the IR cut filter to do something like this (if not I could just set up another schedule to turn output 2 on at a certain time - i hope)

Am I asking too much? I'd have thought the above woud be possible but the information for the events / IO ports isn't particularly easy to read. Well, I didn't understand it anyway.

Thanks.

Brian

Correct Answer by Steven DiStefano about 7 years 6 months ago

We had a few new recording features in the newest FW for this camera.  So please download it.

One was instant recording and the second was continuous recording (without SWVMS16 which does it today) and the third being event recording to Samba.

The instant recording setting is located on the home page. For instant recording, the user cannot navigate away from the Home page while
recording else recording stops and the recording is usually saved on the local PC or a mapped drive.

Continuous recording: Go to Setup->Application->SMB/CIFS. The setting here is purely for Setup->Application->continuous
recording. Just enter for Samba server configuration settings and upon clicking save, recording will start to the samba server. To stop
recording just uncheck the enable SMB Recording.

There is yet another option for recording, event recording(similar to the ftp & mail) referred to earlier.
This setting is located under Applications->Event. Here you would have to enable SMB/CIFS in the action section before the SMB/CIFS settings populate below.

Correct Answer by Steven DiStefano about 7 years 6 months ago

1/. between 7am and 7pm, i'd like the camera to email me when it detects motion, but also record the whole footage onto a samba / Cifs share. (i've worked out the motion bit)

YES,  The camera supports dual stream and dual codec, so you can email movies and FTP JPEGS (for example) to the CIFS share.  The camera GUI supports this, no problem.   No PC required to do this.  Only to configure the camera :-)

2/. at 3.45pm i've set the camera to go into night mode, untill 7am the next day. I'd like to be able to configure one of the IO outputs to also come on at the same time, to power the Lamp. I thought you could configure the IR cut filter to do something like this (if not I could just set up another schedule to turn output 2 on at a certain time - i hope)

So the Day/Night schedule definition activates the cut filter.  If you unscrew the lens, you will see it.  It slides in and out of position according to that schedule.

In the Camera GUI, under APPLICATIONS:EVENT, you will see the Trigger actions you want to do with Motion Detection.  It can include GPIO, FTP, SMTP (all or some).

There is also an event schedule that determines when the camera should do the actions for triggers and can be different times of day and days of week, but

having two different behaviors for 2 different schedules, I do not think we can do....but I am checking internally with the experts.

Steve

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Steven DiStefano Tue, 12/01/2009 - 14:56
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

YES,  The camera supports dual stream and dual codec, so you can email movies and FTP JPEGS (for example) to the CIFS share.  The camera GUI supports this, no problem.   No PC required to do this.  Only to configure the camera :-)

So the Day/Night schedule definition activates the cut filter.  If you unscrew the lens, you will see it.  It slides in and out of position according to that schedule.

In the Camera GUI, under APPLICATIONS:EVENT, you will see the Trigger actions you want to do with Motion Detection.  It can include GPIO, FTP, SMTP (all or some).

There is also an event schedule that determines when the camera should do the actions for triggers and can be different times of day and days of week, but

having two different behaviors for 2 different schedules, I do not think we can do....but I am checking internally with the experts.

Steve

Steven DiStefano Wed, 12/02/2009 - 04:10
User Badges:

Just wanted to comment that one of the guys in the product team tells me that most of the IR Lamps he has seem include photo cells that turn the lamp on automatically when it gets dark....   Then you only have to set the schedule on the camera for the cut filter.    Sound good?

Brian.brackenborough Wed, 12/02/2009 - 04:21
User Badges:

Hi Steve

Yes that could be good, my IR lamp arrives tomorrow though I'm not sure if it does have such a system (it's from ebay!), I could find "work arounds" - I could plug it into the mains on a timer I guess, and synch the times. That would work, but it would mean powering the camera through the mains rather than the back of the IO ports - a shame as it would mean threading another cable through the wall. It was just that because it states "when used in conjunction with...." I was rather hoping it would have such a feature...

Regarding the recording direct - thats great news, though to confirm I want to be able to capture the full 12 hours, not just motion detection, I was thinking of setting it against input one and then forcing input one on throughout the schedule - so if it's current state is low, and I set it to trigger at low, and then configure the event to record to the CIFS, that would work wouldn't it?

Finally (and I appreciate your answers) - the multiple schedules, if it isn't possible, how does one go about making change requests for firmware, I would have thought that differing events at differing schedules would be extremely beneficial..

Thanks.

Brian

Correct Answer
Steven DiStefano Wed, 12/02/2009 - 14:42
User Badges:

We had a few new recording features in the newest FW for this camera.  So please download it.

One was instant recording and the second was continuous recording (without SWVMS16 which does it today) and the third being event recording to Samba.

The instant recording setting is located on the home page. For instant recording, the user cannot navigate away from the Home page while
recording else recording stops and the recording is usually saved on the local PC or a mapped drive.

Continuous recording: Go to Setup->Application->SMB/CIFS. The setting here is purely for Setup->Application->continuous
recording. Just enter for Samba server configuration settings and upon clicking save, recording will start to the samba server. To stop
recording just uncheck the enable SMB Recording.

There is yet another option for recording, event recording(similar to the ftp & mail) referred to earlier.
This setting is located under Applications->Event. Here you would have to enable SMB/CIFS in the action section before the SMB/CIFS settings populate below.

Brian.brackenborough Wed, 12/02/2009 - 14:51
User Badges:

Steve

Thats great news, i'm on the latest Firmware so i'll set that up tomorrow! As for the IR lamp question it turns out my lamp needs 500 mA so I can't draw enough power from the camera anyway so I'll be going to plan B.

It would be nice if multiple schedules and seperate events could be done, it's not so important for me now though...

Excellent help!!

Brian.

Actions

This Discussion