cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber transceiver compatibility

Michael Gross
Level 1
Level 1

I have two 10GB modules one in a Nexus 7010 and the other in a 3560E-12SD.
SFP-10G-SR= 10GBASE-SR SFP+ transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength, LC duplex connector
X2-10GB-LX4= 10GBASE-LX4 X2 transceiver module for MMF, 1310-nm wavelength, SC duplex connector

The modules are different wavelengths and aren't talking to each other with normal MMF. So, do I just need a mode conditioning patch cable for the X2-10GB-LX4 module? Or will I need a new transceiver on one end?

Thanks,

Mike Gross

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patch conditioning cable.

Are you sure, Leo?

I think a new transceiver is needed. Mode conditioning patch cables are for moving from one core size to another - most typically used when moving from 50 nm to 62.5 nm core multimode fiber. If the wavelengths of the transceivers don't match up, a patch cable of any flavor won't rectify that incompatibility. You still need to receive on the same wavelength your transmit.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/OL_19329.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: