cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change timezone on LWAPP AP

binhkdinh
Level 1
Level 1

LWAPP AP gets time from the WLC, and displays in UTC time, which is the correct time. Is there a way to change the timezone on the LWAPP AP? Links? Commands?

Thanks

-Binh

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.

The AP gets it's time from the WLC via a CAPWAP AC Timestamp message (RFC-5415 sec. 4.6.6).  Since the AP has no way to set the timezone, the AP will always use UTC.

In version 12.4(23), I see the following config mode commands:

accesspoint(config)#clock ?

initialize   Initialize system clock on restart

save         backup of clock with NVRAM

summer-time  Configure summer (daylight savings) time

timezone     Configure time zone

that would be correct for an IOS AP, but not for LWAPP/CAPWAP

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen, could you clarify?   I am looking at an AIR-LAP1142N, which is running an LWAPP image via CAPWAP.  I am able to use the config mode clock commands.

Those commands do not hold through a reboot.  I just telneted to an AP and put the commands in, set the offset, saved and rebooted and the AP is back to UTC.

Generally if you have access to a command on a lightweight AP, what ever you change doesn't hold, since you are not able to actually save.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

That is what I was missing.  Great info, Steve.  Thanks.

I am wondering if the ability to set the time zone via the WLC might be in an existing feature request.

I've tried that command. I even tried to save it to the local configs on ap (bad idea). Don't ever do that, it would mess up the LWAPP.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card