cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change timezone on LWAPP AP

binhkdinh
Level 1
Level 1

LWAPP AP gets time from the WLC, and displays in UTC time, which is the correct time. Is there a way to change the timezone on the LWAPP AP? Links? Commands?

Thanks

-Binh

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.

The AP gets it's time from the WLC via a CAPWAP AC Timestamp message (RFC-5415 sec. 4.6.6).  Since the AP has no way to set the timezone, the AP will always use UTC.

In version 12.4(23), I see the following config mode commands:

accesspoint(config)#clock ?

initialize   Initialize system clock on restart

save         backup of clock with NVRAM

summer-time  Configure summer (daylight savings) time

timezone     Configure time zone

that would be correct for an IOS AP, but not for LWAPP/CAPWAP

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephen, could you clarify?   I am looking at an AIR-LAP1142N, which is running an LWAPP image via CAPWAP.  I am able to use the config mode clock commands.

Those commands do not hold through a reboot.  I just telneted to an AP and put the commands in, set the offset, saved and rebooted and the AP is back to UTC.

Generally if you have access to a command on a lightweight AP, what ever you change doesn't hold, since you are not able to actually save.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

That is what I was missing.  Great info, Steve.  Thanks.

I am wondering if the ability to set the time zone via the WLC might be in an existing feature request.

I've tried that command. I even tried to save it to the local configs on ap (bad idea). Don't ever do that, it would mess up the LWAPP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: