cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Source interesting VPN traffic from PIX/ASA

Phil Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible from the CLI to source interesting traffic to bring up or otherwise test a VPN policy?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

AFAIK - this is not possible, as you cannot create a tcp/udp/icmp from a source interface in the device.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

AFAIK - this is not possible, as you cannot create a tcp/udp/icmp from a source interface in the device.

I did not think so, but with all the new features in 8.X I was thinking I had not seen the "new and improved" extended ping like IOS routers have.

it could be a good testing tool, however thinking if a firewall was compromised......being able to do that would be bad!

Ivan Martinon
Level 7
Level 7

ASA and PIX 7.X have a feature call packet tracer, this tool allows the asa to trace the path that a packet will follow by "simulating" this packet as it arrives on the selected interface and goes through the whole appliance, this can be used to simulate a packet going from inside to outside matching the vpn policy, there was a bug on some versions where this feature would not match the vpn policy hopefully it has been fixed.

As well you can use the management-access interface command to use the inside or whichever interface you want to source the traffic via a ping and make the tunnel to come up, note this management access traffic generated command will not be subject to nat or to some filtering polices so it might not apply completely, check the following links:

Packet tracer command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/p.html#wp1878788

management access command reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/m.html#wp1987122

hth

Ivan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: