cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9971 phones / video and other video endpoints

rquintavalle
Level 1
Level 1

Looking to buy a couple 9971 phones with the video camera and I have a couple questions regarding intergration with other video codecs.

First question, is there a particular verison of call manager that we need to be at to run this type of phone / video?  We are currently running 6.1.2 and will upgrade to 8 next year.

Second question, we have several other h323 endpoints of all different brands to include Aethra Silver, Gold, AVC 8500, Polycom View Station, PVX and Life Size Express and we do not have an h323 gateway.  I would like to be able to video conference 9971 phones with other video endpoints like the brands we have without having to purchase an h323 gateway.  Is there a video codec brand that would support both h323 & SCCP or is there SCCP software that can be applied to the brands I currently have?

Has anyone tried to integrate these new phones with other brand video endpoints?

Thanks,

9 Replies 9

restrick
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 9971 is a SIP phone (not SCCP) that supports H.264 for video. Cisco Unified Communications Manager will act as a signaling protocol gateway between SIP and H.323 (actually it can connect between any two of MGCP, SIP, H.233 or SCCP) - so you don't need an extra gateway. The 9971 can call SCCP, SIP or H.323 video endpoints. However whenever combining products from different vendors, even if they are speaking the same protocol there can be incompatabilities. Best to check to see whether Cisco or the vendor of interest have claimed compatibility between Cisco Unified Communications Manager and that vendor's endpoint.

If you already have UC Manager you can experiment a bit yourself. You might not have a 9971 yet but you can get Cisco Unified Video Advantage quite cheaply, plug it into your laptop's USB port, install the software, plug your laptop's ethernet into your phone and now you audio only phone will support video on your laptop and try some calls (oh and you'll need the administrator to change your phone config to allow video and make sure you have an H.323 trunk configured that can reach your videoconferencing endpoints).

For more details see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucmbe/admin/7_1_2/ccmsys/a08video.html -- this is for the 7.1.2 release.

I second what John said.  Just an FYI, I have used the 9971 with several Polycom and Tandberg endpoints without any issues through a Cisco gatekeeper.

-Todd

Thanks, this was very helpful.  I installed the CUVA client and enabled the video capabilites on a 7900 series phone and it works great.  It doesn't bog down the performance of the PC either.  However, looking at configuring an H.323 trunk for our H.323 endpoints, would I not need an extra gateway for that?  We just recently bought a CUAE which is an H.323 gateway so if I do need an extra gateway can this be used?

You do not need an extra gateway. UC manager will act as a protocol gateway between all of these protocols. Now if you want to connect to H.320 endpoints you will need an H.323 to H.320 gateway but for connecting to H.323 endpoints you do not.

One way is configure an H.323 trunk that points the gatekeeper your H.323 endpoints use and make sure the UC Manager dial plan will route the right numbers to that trunk.

Thanks I'll look into configuring that.  We are running Call Manager 6.1.2 and upon going to Device -> Trunk -> Add New my trunk types are H.225 (gatekeeper controlled), Inter-cluster (gatekeep and non gatekeeper controlled) and SIP trunk.  Perhaps I need a higher version of Call Manager or maybe it's a service / feature that is not enabled?

H.225 is part of H.323. If you have an H.323 gatekeeper then "H.225 (gatekeeper controlled)" is the one you want. This support has been there since 4.0 so your version is fine.

Ok but I guess I need a gatekeeper.  I see on one of our H.323 endpoints that there is a setting to use gatekeeper and we have a public IP address entered there.  However, that's the address we use that's NAT on our firewall to an internal IP.  That's not going to help me is it?

I suggest looking at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/video.html.

If you don't have a gatekeeper then you can configure the H.323 endpoint as a non-gatekeeper controlled client.

Do I still need to configure a trunk since I don't have a gatekeeper?  Before if I had one you said I'd have to configure an H.225 trunk.  Since this is a non-gatekeeper controlled client should I configure the "Intercluster-Trunk (non-gatekeeper controlled)" trunk type or do I don't need to configure one at all?

Thanks for the document!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: