Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Voicemail setup with CUCM and Unity Connections

fieryhail
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

I am still very new to CUCM.  I am trying to setup a test deployment of CUCMB 6.01.  It has the integrated Unity Connections.  I have 2 DNs assigned to users and Cisco IP phones.  I'm using MGCP (Cisco 3745 with 2FXO as gateway).  Now I am trying to setup voicemail extensions for the users.  I've been reading lots of documentation on CUCM and Unity, but I know Unity Express isn't what I need and haven't found info on the very basics of setting up voicemail for CUCM users.

The Users are DN 1001 and 1002 respectively.  They are both part of a hunt list (broadcast) so that when incoming calls arrive, both phones will ring simultaneously.  Not sure if this has any bearing or not.  I'd like to be able to set it up so that each DN rings on the IP phone say 6 times then goes to a Unity voicemail box setup for that user.  I have already imported the 2 users into Unity.  I've run the voicemail port config wizard.  Everything appears as if it is going properly, but I'm stuck on the part of actually telling CUCM to forward the call to the Unity mailbox.  Probably the simplest part.  Any ideas or help on this would be very much appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Fiery,

CUCM will work this way

So, the fact that 1001 and 1002 are receiving the calls via a Hunt Group has a great bearing on this config.

You have to keep in mind that a call that has routed via the Hunt Pilot will always ignore the CFWD Settings on Hunt Group Member phones. The normal way to control this then is via the Hunt Group Logout of member phones combined with the Hunt Pilot level forward settings.

The following describes how the Call Forward settings on individual Hunt member phones are ignored when presented a call via the Hunt feature. Here is a clip;

Hunting and Call Forwarding

The concept of hunting differs from that of call forwarding. Hunting allows Cisco Unified Communications Manager to extend a call to one or more lists of numbers, where each such list can specify a hunting order that is chosen from a fixed set of algorithms. When a call extends to a hunt party from these lists and the party fails to answer or is busy, hunting resumes with the next hunt party. (The next hunt party varies depending on the current hunt algorithm.) ***Hunting thus ignores the Call Forward No Answer (CFNA), Call Forward Busy (CFB), or Call Forward All (CFA) settings for the attempted party (Line Group member Phones).

Cisco Unified Communications Manager offers the ability to redirect a call when hunting fails (that is, when hunting terminates without any hunt party answering, due either to exhausting the list of hunt numbers or to timing out). If used, this final redirection comprises a Call Forwarding action. Therefore, the Hunt Pilot Configuration window includes Call Forwarding configuration concepts that are similar to those found on the Directory Number Configuration window.

Example of Call Hunting

Although hunting differs from forwarding, hunting often originates as a call that gets forwarded to a hunt-pilot number. The call coverage feature extends hunting to allow final forwarding after hunting either exhausts or times out.

A typical call that invokes hunting can include the following phases:

The call hunts through provisioned hunt groups according to provisioned algorithms for each group. Hunting either succeeds (if a hunt party answers), exhausts (if all hunt parties are attempted, but none answer), or times out (if the time specified in the Maximum Hunt Timer runs out before all parties are attempted, and none of the parties that were attempted answer).

For the purpose of this example, we assume that hunting does not succeed.

If some form of final forwarding is configured, the call forwards to a next destination; otherwise, the call gets released.

Maximum Hunt Timer

The Maximum Hunt Timer field on the Hunt Pilot Configuration window allows the administrator to enter a value (in seconds) to limit the time for hunting through a hunt list. After the specified time lapses, if hunting has not succeeded, the call gets forwarded to a voice-messaging system, a specific dialed number, or some personal treatment (if configured), or the call gets released.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_0_1/ccmsys/a03rp.html#wp1078922

If the call goes unanswered or all member phones are logged out, then a Forward should be applied at the "Hunt Pilot" Level;

Hunt Forward Settings

Forward Hunt No Answer - When the call that is distributed through the hunt list is not answered in a specific time, this field specifies how to forward the call.

Destination This setting indicates the directory number to which calls are forwarded.

Forward Hunt Busy - When the call that is distributed through the hunt list is busy in a specific time, this field specifies how to forward the call.

Destination This setting indicates the directory number to which calls are forwarded.

Maximum Hunt Timer - Enter a value (in seconds) that specifies the maximum time for hunting.(Used in conjunction with Forward Hunt Busy)

In your case, it is best to configure the Hunt Pilot DN as an Alternate Extension under either the 1001 or 1002

mailbox.

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hey Ronan,

You are right on the money my friend

Lets look at one example for the "Sales" Group in your setup;

Under the Hunt Pilot - Use the Forward to Voicemail (Destination Setting) and setup the Hunt Pilot DN's as Alternate Extensions under a Shared number on all the "Sales" phones so you can see the MWI Lamp

For your setup we'll add a second "shared" line to all Line Group members phones and then set the Hunt Pilot DN as an Alternate Extension on this new line so the Red MWI Lamp would be lit on all member phones.

Lets say the Hunt Pilot number for Sales is 2101 and the newly created second line DN's on the Sales Line Group member phones is 2355. Set the Hunt Pilot to Forward (CFNA) to the Unity Pilot #.

Create a "Dummy" mailbox for 2355 with 2101 as an Alternate Extension. When the call routes through to Unity Connection via the Hunt Pilot No Answer Unity should see the CLID of 2101 which will then be connected to the Mailbox on 2355.

Then tweak the Message Lamp Setting in CUCM for the second Line appearances;

For the second Line Setting on (each phone)-

Line Settings for this Device - Changes affect only this device

Message Waiting Lamp Policy - Light and Prompt

The RED Message Lamp will then work for these Second lines on each phone.

Configure Alternate Extensions

Open the Unity System Administrator web page.

Navigate to the subscriber's profile. Select Subscribers > Find and Select a Subscriber > Enter Subscriber Information then click Find and click the Subscriber's name for the subscriber that owns the primary phone.

When the subscriber page comes up, select the Alternate Extensions option and click Add.

Enter the alternate extension number and click the Save icon.

From this good Unity doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Ronan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here, I'm on vacation

right now so I'm not spending much time working

It looks like you have made great progress here and a solution

is right around the corner for sure. If the Hunt Pilot is 1100, then

this is what Unity Connection will see if calls Forward through

via the Hunt setup. You need to do two things here;

1. Make the forward DN from the Hunt Pilot the UC Voicemail

Pilot DN#

2. In Unity Connection Admin go to the setup page for 1101 and (edit)

Add 1100 as an Alternate Extension.

Then when the call flows through to Unity Connection the proper

Greeting should play.

Cheers!

Rob

9 Replies 9

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Fiery,

CUCM will work this way

So, the fact that 1001 and 1002 are receiving the calls via a Hunt Group has a great bearing on this config.

You have to keep in mind that a call that has routed via the Hunt Pilot will always ignore the CFWD Settings on Hunt Group Member phones. The normal way to control this then is via the Hunt Group Logout of member phones combined with the Hunt Pilot level forward settings.

The following describes how the Call Forward settings on individual Hunt member phones are ignored when presented a call via the Hunt feature. Here is a clip;

Hunting and Call Forwarding

The concept of hunting differs from that of call forwarding. Hunting allows Cisco Unified Communications Manager to extend a call to one or more lists of numbers, where each such list can specify a hunting order that is chosen from a fixed set of algorithms. When a call extends to a hunt party from these lists and the party fails to answer or is busy, hunting resumes with the next hunt party. (The next hunt party varies depending on the current hunt algorithm.) ***Hunting thus ignores the Call Forward No Answer (CFNA), Call Forward Busy (CFB), or Call Forward All (CFA) settings for the attempted party (Line Group member Phones).

Cisco Unified Communications Manager offers the ability to redirect a call when hunting fails (that is, when hunting terminates without any hunt party answering, due either to exhausting the list of hunt numbers or to timing out). If used, this final redirection comprises a Call Forwarding action. Therefore, the Hunt Pilot Configuration window includes Call Forwarding configuration concepts that are similar to those found on the Directory Number Configuration window.

Example of Call Hunting

Although hunting differs from forwarding, hunting often originates as a call that gets forwarded to a hunt-pilot number. The call coverage feature extends hunting to allow final forwarding after hunting either exhausts or times out.

A typical call that invokes hunting can include the following phases:

The call hunts through provisioned hunt groups according to provisioned algorithms for each group. Hunting either succeeds (if a hunt party answers), exhausts (if all hunt parties are attempted, but none answer), or times out (if the time specified in the Maximum Hunt Timer runs out before all parties are attempted, and none of the parties that were attempted answer).

For the purpose of this example, we assume that hunting does not succeed.

If some form of final forwarding is configured, the call forwards to a next destination; otherwise, the call gets released.

Maximum Hunt Timer

The Maximum Hunt Timer field on the Hunt Pilot Configuration window allows the administrator to enter a value (in seconds) to limit the time for hunting through a hunt list. After the specified time lapses, if hunting has not succeeded, the call gets forwarded to a voice-messaging system, a specific dialed number, or some personal treatment (if configured), or the call gets released.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/6_0_1/ccmsys/a03rp.html#wp1078922

If the call goes unanswered or all member phones are logged out, then a Forward should be applied at the "Hunt Pilot" Level;

Hunt Forward Settings

Forward Hunt No Answer - When the call that is distributed through the hunt list is not answered in a specific time, this field specifies how to forward the call.

Forward Hunt Busy - When the call that is distributed through the hunt list is busy in a specific time, this field specifies how to forward the call.

Maximum Hunt Timer - Enter a value (in seconds) that specifies the maximum time for hunting.(Used in conjunction with Forward Hunt Busy)

In your case, it is best to configure the Hunt Pilot DN as an Alternate Extension under either the 1001 or 1002

mailbox.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you for your reply.  For what it is worth, I am still having a lot of dificulty with this.  I read through the information you

supplied which I am grateful for.  I think I am missing something simple here.  Missing something on a conceptual level

most likely.  I want to be able to setup numerous hunt groups.  Sales, Customer Service, Technical Support (TS Hardwarde, TS Software, TS Web).  I want to be able to setup a voicemail box with it's own greeting for the Sales, one for Customer Service, and one all inclusive that will be used as the destination for busy/noanswer for any of the Technical Support groups (Hardware, Software and Web).  I also want the users to be able to access their personal VM (VM directed to their own DN) by pressing the "Message" button on their IP Phones.  With my 7960 I'm sure I can program additional lines to access the VM for the other Hunt Groups (after i can get VM routed to them) but for those users without the multiple line availability I want them to be able to check the collective VM boxes by dialing a DN (for instance 2101 for the 'Sales' collective VM box, 2102 for the Customer Service VM) and so on.  I think my biggest confusion here is the difference (if there is one and I am sure there is) with a Hunt List setup for VM usage vs. one not setup that way.  I have 5 Hunt Pilots setup to go to 5 different Hunt Lists and subsequently Line Groups with each being setup as Broadcast algorithm.  Do I need to setup "dummy users" with "dummy DN's" in CUCM and then import these users into Unity Cx?  I think probably so.

The reason for this setup is because I am using an Asterisk system that is supplying AutoAttendant services (they call it IVR) and that connects to CUCM via a SIP trunk.  So basically when a user presses '1' from the asterisk AA menu it goes to a custom destination (2100) and passes the call from the PSTN to CUCM DN 2100 (Hunt Pilot for 'Sales') and then the calls is processed through the DNs in the associated Hunt List and Line Group.  If no one in the 'Sales' HL picks up I would like CUCM to automatically route the call to a Unity Connections VM Box for 'Sales' which can then be accessed by any CUCM user by dialing a 4-digit extension and entering the appropriate PIN.  The same for any other menus from the asterisk AA going into CUCM and on busy/noanswer routed to a VM Box associated with it.  I was hoping to not use asterisk for this at all, just a combination of CUCM and Unity Connections but from what I gather, this functionality is not possible without either Unity and Cisco IP Contact Center (IPCC) or Unity Express which requires either an AIM-CUE or NM-CUE.  If I am wrong in this and there IS a way to get rid of asterisk altogether and use only CUCMB (Business Edition of CUCM which includes Unity Connections) than I am all for it.  Just don't know if it is possible and from reading so far don't believe so.  If you know of a way I can do this then I'd love to hear it.

Per your last response, I am unsure of how to setup a VM Box in Unity with a DN attached to it so that I can use that DN as a "destination" for busy/NoAnswer from members in a Hunt List.  This is why I am wondering if I setup "dummy users" in CUCM just to attach a DN to them perhaps and then use the dummy user's "personal" mailbox as a "collective" VM Box.  Sorruy for being so confusing in my post here.  If there is any specific information that I can supply to help clarify please let me know and I will suply it.  I guess what I am looking to learn is how to setup the appropriate Pilot System (Whether Hunt Pilot or VM Pilot) and users and DNs in CUCM/Unity Cx to automatically route calls through to specific VM Boxes after no extensions in a specified Line Group pick up.  The terminology is so far confusing me.  Sorry to sound stupid but I really appreciate any assistance in this issue.  This is "my missing link" in getting a CUCM system for a small business off the ground.  Thank you very much for your help.

Hey Ronan,

You are right on the money my friend

Lets look at one example for the "Sales" Group in your setup;

Under the Hunt Pilot - Use the Forward to Voicemail (Destination Setting) and setup the Hunt Pilot DN's as Alternate Extensions under a Shared number on all the "Sales" phones so you can see the MWI Lamp

For your setup we'll add a second "shared" line to all Line Group members phones and then set the Hunt Pilot DN as an Alternate Extension on this new line so the Red MWI Lamp would be lit on all member phones.

Lets say the Hunt Pilot number for Sales is 2101 and the newly created second line DN's on the Sales Line Group member phones is 2355. Set the Hunt Pilot to Forward (CFNA) to the Unity Pilot #.

Create a "Dummy" mailbox for 2355 with 2101 as an Alternate Extension. When the call routes through to Unity Connection via the Hunt Pilot No Answer Unity should see the CLID of 2101 which will then be connected to the Mailbox on 2355.

Then tweak the Message Lamp Setting in CUCM for the second Line appearances;

For the second Line Setting on (each phone)-

Line Settings for this Device - Changes affect only this device

Message Waiting Lamp Policy - Light and Prompt

The RED Message Lamp will then work for these Second lines on each phone.

Configure Alternate Extensions

Open the Unity System Administrator web page.

Navigate to the subscriber's profile. Select Subscribers > Find and Select a Subscriber > Enter Subscriber Information then click Find and click the Subscriber's name for the subscriber that owns the primary phone.

When the subscriber page comes up, select the Alternate Extensions option and click Add.

Enter the alternate extension number and click the Save icon.

From this good Unity doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008015ceec.shtml#steps

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you again for your help.  I think that I understand what you are saying but when I try to setup this in CUCMB (Unity Connections) I don't seem to be able to follow through.  I do realize that there are some major differences between Unity and Unity Connections.  One limitation in Unity Connections is that I can not add a dummy Voicemail box.  It seems as if I can only create voicemail boxes for users that are registered in CUCM with devices attached.  Not sure why Cisco did this, probably to make people like me looking for a relatively simple solution to buy into the full-scale Cisco Unity platform which is not an option.  My clientbase will not touch a Cisco solution if it will require going that route.  Perhaps I am wrong but the deeper I get into this it seems as if Unity Connections is a waste of the hard drive space it is stored on.  Thus far my experience with Unity Connections has been absolutely horrible.  I created a dummy user in CUCM but did not associate a device with it.  Therefore the option to add a Unity Voicemail Box is not an option.  In fact, even after I associated the dummy user 'Sales' with one of my existing IP Phones the option to add a Unity Voicemail box is still not available.  It seems as if the ONLY way to add a Unity Voicemail box is to use the "User/Phone Add" option in CUCM.  This seems as though CUCMB will ONLY allow me to add Unity Voicemail boxes in a very inflexible manner.  Nothing I have done seems to make a difference.  I like a challenge as much as the next person but I feel as no matter what I try there is no way I can setup what I feel should be fairly straightforward.  I'm tearing my hair out.  After reading your post and the associated link I feel as if I am still back to where I started.

I ran across another thread that referenced creating a CTI route point and having that as the last member but that kills the idea of a broadcast hunt group.  The link for that is here:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1504061&page=1

Is what I want to do impossible with Unity Connections?  I see plenty of information on how to do this with Unity but none of the options that enable this type of setup in Cisco Unity seem to be present in Unity Connections.  Did Cisco intentionally "geld" Unity Connections in this way?  If so, why bother making the product being as it seems mostly useless.  I'm trying hard to do this but after dead end after dead end it's really making me want to forgo the whole Cisco product (which seems exceptionally inflexible) and just use an Asterisk solution (where this can be accomplished easily, I have done it in less than 30 minutes).  Where do you think I am going wrong?  I'm openb to any suggestions, really pulling my hair out here.  If you have time sometime, perhaps you can message me on MSN (fieryhail@live.com).  Since this is a "lab" setup at the moment I'd be happy to give you access to my CUCM setup so that you can see what I am seeing.  I believe that I am understanding what you are saying, but no matter where I look, I don't see any way to implement it.  I really appreciate your help.  I'll be more than happy to award points for correct answer because you definitely seem to know what you are doing and I admittedly am still new at this.  Yet I have been working on trying to get this functionality setup with CUCMB for 3 weeks now and still with no success.  Forgive me for ranting on Cisco as I have but I am very stymied as to why this is so difficult.  There is LOTS of information on Cisco Unity as well as Cisco Unity Express but very little in comparison on Unity Connections.  Thanks for listening and your great help Rob.

I must enjoy frustration, lol.  I am still plugging away at this.  I may have done this entirely wrong but I have made some headway (I think) since my last post.  I added a new DN on my 7960 (1101) and associated both my 7960 and the other phone, 7940 to the dummy user (Sales, 1101).  I then setup extension 1101 as the primary extension for 'Sales' dummy user.  In the DN options when I created the DN (I had to create the DN fresh from the Devices>Phones>7960 option) I set it to forward to voicemail.  I'll go back to your helpful post and see if perhaps now I can follow through with the shared line information.  Any success I attain I will post here.  I will also post failures or further questions if I am still unable to get this to work.  Perhaps I needed to get away from the CUCM Config page for a while ;-) lol.  Anyway I'm going to keep working on it.  Even though I mentioned that asterisk was able to deliver this functionality, I hate giving up.  So I will not be giving up on CUCM unless I can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that what I am trying to do is utterly impossible (which I really don't believe, just that I must be missing something(s))  Any suggestions are of course always welcome.  Thanks again for the supportive help.

Ok, I think I have made some progress.  Continuing from last post:

I have setup a user and DN in CUCM (Sales/1101) and a Hunt Pilot (1100) and in the Line Group associated with said HP I have included the 2 DN's attached to the phones I want to ring (1001 and 1007).  When I call inbound whether from PSTN or just by dialing 1100 from an IP phone both phones in the LG ring.  When it goes to voicemail, instead of going directly to the 1101 Voicemail box it brings the caller to the Unity Connections Main Menu.  Not sure why this is.  For the destination in the Hunt Pilot I have tried using both 2001 (first Unity VM Port) as well as 1101.  I have setup DN 1101 to go directly to voicemail.  When I dial 1101 from an IP phone it goes right to the custom message I recorded for it in Unity Connections.  I leave a message and I can access the messages from any IP phone by going into the Voicemail (Messages button on phone), pressing * and choosing 1101 and entering the password.  Yet when I tell the Hunt Pilot to forward to that DN it brings the caller to the Unity Connections main greeting ("Welcome to Cisco Unity Connections Messaging System...")  Why does it go directly to VM by dialing the DN directly from an IP phone but go to the Unity Connections Main Greeting when the Hunt Pilot forwards it to 1101 after Hunt Timeout?  I am closer now than ever but this is very confusing, can't figure out a logical reason for this. 

For what it is worth, I believe it has something to do with the way CUCM processes re-directing call to voicemail after a Hunt Group times out perhaps?  The reason I say this is because if I tell Asterisk to send the call directly to DN 1101 I get the expected Voicemail Message I recorded for 1101.  I hope this post clarifies what I'm doing (or trying to).  At this point I'm glad I didn't give up because I feel very close to a solution.  Any ideas?  Thanks again for reading this.

Hi Ronan,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you here, I'm on vacation

right now so I'm not spending much time working

It looks like you have made great progress here and a solution

is right around the corner for sure. If the Hunt Pilot is 1100, then

this is what Unity Connection will see if calls Forward through

via the Hunt setup. You need to do two things here;

1. Make the forward DN from the Hunt Pilot the UC Voicemail

Pilot DN#

2. In Unity Connection Admin go to the setup page for 1101 and (edit)

Add 1100 as an Alternate Extension.

Then when the call flows through to Unity Connection the proper

Greeting should play.

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you very much Rob for your excellent help.  I'm sorry it took me so long to understand but yes, the alternate extension for 1101 in Unity Connections is exactly the missing piece.  Now when I dial in it works rolling over to the expected VM Message.  I appreciate that you took time to assist me even while on vacation.  I hope one day to be able to assist someone as I have received excellent assistance from NetPro.  I come here on a daily basis now (and have been for some time) and find that it is hands down the most useful and supportive online community that I have ever experienced.  The sheer breadth of knowledge and the willingness to assist is what makes NetPro what it is and it is due to the people like yourself.  Pat yourself on the back, you deserve it.  Thank you once again.  I do hope that you have a great vacation and an excellent 2010!  Thanks again!

Hi Ronan,

You are most welcome my friend

Thanks for your very,very kind words! There are

great people here @ NetPro and it seems like we've

just added another one with your participation. The

helpful nature of people here makes me keep coming

back as well.

The vacation is going great,lots of fun times with family

and friends! It's pretty chilly here in Canada where I live,

-17 degrees this morning (Brrrrrrrrrr!) so not too much

outdoor fun.

Have an excellent New Years and a fine 2010! We'll see

you back here very soon.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: