Helpful
Replies

WRV-210 Problems with wifi configuration

eamoureux
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We bought 5 WRV-210 Router.
We have the same problems with all this 5 routers.

In our company, we use a WEP wireless security with a key index 2 and encrypted in 128bit

with WRV-200 there are no problem, but with WRV-210 we can't

We can't put a key for index 1, but for index 2,3 and 4 the box is grey.

We try to update firmware to all existant, but problem still here.

Trying on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Opera.

We try to phone to Cisco support, only thing they can say is to change encryption to WPA. we could, but after, we have around 500 notebook to reconfigure in all of France, it's not possible.

So someone have a idea ?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

wichilds
Level 4
Level 4

The default way to configure these, is to put a password into the "Passphrase" box and click the generate button. This will take your "Passphrase" and run it through the mathematical equation that makes up WEP encryption, to give you a "hash". This hash is the tx key you will give your clients. Copy this hash (by hand) and give it to the users of your wireless network. It will be the password they need to access the network wirelessly.

If you had looked in the administration guide, it would have told you how to configure the wireless settings for your network. The guide can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/wrv210/administration/guide/WRV210_AG_OL-20252.pdf

The information you desire can be found on page 42.

As a side note, WEP is a VERY weak encryption that can be cracked by the most novice computer "hacker". The only reason Cisco includes it on their products is for compatibility purposes, as some customers have legacy network cards and cannot upgrade them. As soon as you are able, it is a MUST that you upgrade your wireless security to a minimum of WPA with AES encryption. If you go to youtube.com and lookup "cracking WEP with backtrack" you will be able to see that WEP is crackable in less than a minute.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Thanks for your answer, but you're not understand the problem.

The hass is already generate, but we want to put it on key 2, not on key 1.

When we choose a 128bit key, we can put only on key 1, not other, when we choose 64bit we can, but we wants 128bits.

It was possible on WRV-200 and impossible now.

We know that WEP is a very bad security, but for now we can't put WPA, because old stuff in company and because money to change for every notebook this settings.

So we are thinking it's a bug in firmware that is not corrected

From the screenshot it looks like you already have a key (lets say: acb39589ba84) and you need this key to be #2, correct?

Try generating a key with a passphrase; once it is generated you will see all 4 fields, at which point you should be able to change key #2 to whatever you want. I have not tried this in the lab, but that should work.

Please let us know if we going in the right direction.

Hello alegalle

Yes you're in the right direction.

when I try to generate the 128bits key, he will generate the key only on #1, never generate on key #2

also I can't copy/paste it on #2 beacause it's grey

Thanks for the update  eamoureux

I will take a look at this later today and see if we can find a workaround.

I have confirmed this operation in the lab on a fresh device. You should contact your local SBSC to open a case, and please reference this thread.

Bill

Thanks for your fast test to confirm our experience.

I will call SBSC again tomorrow. Could you tell me their number for france?

Could we expect a new firmware in future to solve this problems ?

Thanks to help us