MAC Address discovery issue

Answered Question
Dec 3rd, 2009
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

I have a

Catalyst 4506 switch running IOS cat4000-i9s-mz12-25.EWA4.bin

The question I have is....

I have a Cisco Phone that is connected to an interface and a PC that is connected to the Phone. The Link speed should be 1000/full. When I run the command show mac-add dyn   I do not see any MAC Address entries for the phone or the PC on that port and it is only running at 100/full but I do have network connectivity for both the PC and Phone.. On other ports I can see the MAC address for both the Phone and PC. What could the issue be?

Thanks,

Mike

Correct Answer by Edison Ortiz about 7 years 7 months ago

Auto/Auto at the IP Phone and switchport should negotiate to 1Gb/FD if both link partners support such speed/duplex setting.

If the negotiation did not occur and both are set to Auto/Auto, replace the cable at both ends.

Also, try connecting the phone to another switchport.

Regards

Edison

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Edison Ortiz Thu, 12/03/2009 - 13:03
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Auto/Auto at the IP Phone and switchport should negotiate to 1Gb/FD if both link partners support such speed/duplex setting.

If the negotiation did not occur and both are set to Auto/Auto, replace the cable at both ends.

Also, try connecting the phone to another switchport.

Regards

Edison

burleyman Fri, 02/12/2010 - 07:24
User Badges:

I am going through some of my post that I have resolved and rating them

and posting they were solved.

Thanks Edison for your help.

Mike

Kevin Dorrell Fri, 02/12/2010 - 07:46
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

A thought about the lack of entries in show mac-addr dyn ... do you have port security on that port?  Secure addresses are regarded as static rather than dynamic.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

burleyman Fri, 02/12/2010 - 07:59
User Badges:

I did think about that but I do not have security on the ports. I did have them replace the cable even though they said they did already and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Mike

Actions

This Discussion