Replies

MAC Address discovery issue

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have a

Catalyst 4506 switch running IOS cat4000-i9s-mz12-25.EWA4.bin

The question I have is....

I have a Cisco Phone that is connected to an interface and a PC that is connected to the Phone. The Link speed should be 1000/full. When I run the command show mac-add dyn   I do not see any MAC Address entries for the phone or the PC on that port and it is only running at 100/full but I do have network connectivity for both the PC and Phone.. On other ports I can see the MAC address for both the Phone and PC. What could the issue be?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Auto/Auto at the IP Phone and switchport should negotiate to 1Gb/FD if both link partners support such speed/duplex setting.

If the negotiation did not occur and both are set to Auto/Auto, replace the cable at both ends.

Also, try connecting the phone to another switchport.

Regards

Edison

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Auto/Auto at the IP Phone and switchport should negotiate to 1Gb/FD if both link partners support such speed/duplex setting.

If the negotiation did not occur and both are set to Auto/Auto, replace the cable at both ends.

Also, try connecting the phone to another switchport.

Regards

Edison

I am going through some of my post that I have resolved and rating them

and posting they were solved.

Thanks Edison for your help.

Mike

A thought about the lack of entries in show mac-addr dyn ... do you have port security on that port?  Secure addresses are regarded as static rather than dynamic.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

I did think about that but I do not have security on the ports. I did have them replace the cable even though they said they did already and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco