cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Raid1 and CM7.x

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

On our test lab, we upgrade a 2 MC7845 (pub/sub) from 4.x to 7.x, then pulled a Raid1 drive to simulate a failure. This crash our subscriber which requires a rebuilt. We pulled it base on assumptions from CCO docs for 4.x and earlier. I started looking for a cco doc on the "correct" procedure on 5.X and above but could not find it...so my question is:

1. Is RAID 1 support meaning I can pull a drive out while is it live and subsequently put in a spare drive?

2. Can anyone find the cco doc to recover because with 4.X there was that F1 or F2 choice on reboot.

Thx

4 Replies 4

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I can't answer your question, but wanted to pass something along that we came upon a few weeks back.  In preparation for an upgrade we had a Raid 1 mirror on an old 4.X box (MCS78XX-I - IBM server Cisco branded).  Pulled the second drive, shutdown the box, pulled the first drive, plugged the second to make sure it would come up - so we could use it as an escape route.  When we inserted the second drive back in and tried to boot, the server said the drive was bad.

Turns out that some of the IBM servers will remember a drive failing and they will flag it bad AND REMEMBER even when it is put back in and is in fact fiune.  If this is the case you need to find the original CDs that came with the server, put in the raid CD, run the utility and tell it the drive is OK.

HTH - just in case,

Art

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Removing Hard Drives

Cisco only supports replacing failed hard drives. Cisco does not support drive pulling/swapping as a method of fast upgrade reversion, restore, or server recovery. For information on replacing a failed hard drive, refer to the Troubleshooting Guide for Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/7_1_2/cucm-rel_notes-712b.html#wp1450232

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

oh, gosh...it looks like one of those cco where the official word is "not supported" but the actual procedure seems contradictory and thereby unofficially doable. I have a 7845 so according to

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/7_1_2/tbsystem.html#wp1190618

I should be able to perform HD swapping giving the assumption base on the above link on "Performing Failed RAID Disk Replacement Without Restart"

Hi there,

I don't think there's any contradiction here, upgrades are not supported with 'pulled' drives and but failed drives can be replaced without a restart.  In order for the drive to be pulled the CUCM OS must mark the drive as failed.

From the link you posted

The following procedures do not apply and are not supported if you attempt disk replacement for a disk that is not detected as failed per the following procedures.

and

Step 3 Enter the CLI command, show hardware, again and perform one of the following:

If none of the physical disks displays the status as "Failed", you need not perform any further action.

If the logical drive status is not OK or Optimal, and any physical disk is displaying as "Failed", identify the physical disk on the server as follows.

Perhaps pulling a disk isn't isn't the best way to simulate a drive failing in this case.

regards,

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: