cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interface Utilisation Report

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to create a report from HUM (LMS3.2) that graphs the TX and RX utilisation (and errors if possible) of an interface on my Cisco 6509 switch.

Is there a way to do this???

It would be helpful if I could schedule this to, but this isn't absolutely neccessary.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The first step would be to create a poller for your device which monitors all the interfaces you need.  You would use the built-in Interface Utilization and Interface Errors templates.  Once the poller is running, you can view the poller report under HUM > Reports > Report Management, or you can view the specific Quick Report for interface utilization or errors.  You can schedule either of these reports.

Thanks, I've given that a try but have a couple of issues.

1. The reports are for a set period of time (last 24hrs??) - if so, is there a way to generate a report covering a longer period?

2. The reports are showing percentages greater than 100%??

On a related note, when I choose the Interface Utilisation Template for Cisco 3750's I don't get any instances showing (other instances appear)..

Any idea's?

1. You can do this by copying a quick report to a new quick report, or by defining a customer report.  Then you can specify the date range for which the report should cover.

2. This most likely has to do with interfaces changing speed (e.g. with switches and auto-speed ports).  This is hard to deal with.  You'd have to redefine your pollers each time the port changes speed.  That's why it's hard to accurately monitor such ports.

I'd check to make sure your 3750 is properly configured for SNMP so that the ifTable and ifXTable are readable.

Thanks Joe...

Copied the report as you described at it worked perfectly....just one more thing, is it possible to schedule this? I had a look around but I couldn't see anywhere obvious that would allow to schedule it so it's emailed to me on a regular basis. I can see that custom reports can be scheduled but they don't have the output I need (ie, graphs).

Thanks Again...

When you copy the Quick Report, the middle pane of the report definition window allows you to schedule it.  By default, it runs immediately, but you can schedule it to run daily, weekly, or monthly as well.

Thanks....got the report running exactly as I want it now

The ony sticking point is this one 6509 port that persistently shows utilisation's above 100%!! In fact, at some points today it was showing 2,400%!!

The port speed and duplex are hard-set to 100Mbps/FD and other ports on the same 6509 module appear to be fine..

Any ideas?

I'm hoping you can help me one more time with this report.

I've been asked to create a 2 reports that shows the utilisation from interfaces on different devices and send them to 2 different depts.

The first report will go to the Network Team and show utilisation of the ports that are connected to Distribution Switches. The 2nd Report will show the utilisation of ports connected to servers.

I've created a poller that gets the stats from the relavant ports but when I create the report its only allows me to select a device to run the report against. It doesn't allow me to select individual interfaces. This means that both reports look exactly the same and each dept get information that they're not particulary interested in on their respective reports.

Is there report I can run that will look similar to the Quick Utilisation Report (ie, summary stats and graphs) but will allow me to select individual interfaces??

No, not that would give you that same data on one report page.  The best you could do is create multiple pollers for each instace, and then run a poller report.  You could then click on the device names in the poller report to see the graphs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: