cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Cisco Works to trap and notify on power supply failures

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

At one time, we had out Cisco Works configured to trap and notify when there were reported power supply outages.  I know it trapped of the Cisco devices log.  How do I get a copy of the potential error messages that can be generated from the various Cisco device logs?

Thanks

Dwane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The messages are broken down like this:

FACILITY-SUBFACILITY-SEVERITY-MNEMONIC

So, Dec  1 05:58:33: %C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 1 output failed. breaks down to:

Facility : C6KPWR

Sub-facility : SP

Severity : 2

Mnemonic : PSFAIL

If you wanted to match on all C6KPWR messages, you will do:

Sub-facility : *

Severity : *

Mnemonic : *

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you mean the various syslog messages which a device can generate, just search Cisco.com for "system and error messages" for a given release train (e.g. 12.4T).  For example, to find all of the syslog messages for 12.4T, go to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/system/messages/124tsms.html .

Sir,

Thank you for your answer.  I am new at this Cisco Works Syslog thing.  If I want to alert when a power supply goes out and comes back on on Cisco IOS 12.2.25, what are the parameters that I will need to put in the syslog portion. I am aware of how to get delve down into this portion, but right now, my window options has nothing but asterisks in them and I am trying to find a good example on how to complete thsi tasking.  And do I complete the notification of personnel in this same area.

Thank you so much for the help

Dwane

Exactly what type of device is this?

Dec  1 05:58:33: %C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 1 output failed.
Dec  1 05:58:33: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSREDUNDANTONESUPPLY: in power-redundancy mode, system is operating on one power supply.
Dec  1 05:58:43: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSOK: power supply 1 turned on.
Dec  1 05:58:43: %C6KPWR-SP-4-PSREDUNDANTBOTHSUPPLY: in power-redundancy mode, system is operating on both power supplies.

This is a Cat 6500 version12.2.18.

I know I am trying to modify the RME->Tools->Syslog->Automated Actions but I am not real sure what goes where.

Thank you for all your help.

Dwane

The messages are broken down like this:

FACILITY-SUBFACILITY-SEVERITY-MNEMONIC

So, Dec  1 05:58:33: %C6KPWR-SP-2-PSFAIL: power supply 1 output failed. breaks down to:

Sub-facility : SP

Severity : 2

Mnemonic : PSFAIL

If you wanted to match on all C6KPWR messages, you will do:

Sub-facility : *

Severity : *

Mnemonic : *

Thank you, Sir. This answers my questions and I am assuming that this syntax can also be used on 4000 series as well?

Dwane

All Cisco devices follow the same syslog format, but the power supply values for facility, severity, and mnemonic will be different for different platforms.

Joe,

Most of our IOS is 12.2 for all platforms.  Will the Cisco IOS system error messages fit the bill for 6509s, 4506s & 3750s, for example?  Or will I need to find the system messages for all 3 devices?

Thank you

Dwane

You will need to look at each platform's system messages to find the proper facility, severity, and mnemonic.

Joe,

Thank you for the quick response.

How do I tell if the event is actually being sent to the RME server from the Cisco switch.  Let's take the 6500 that we have used in this case.  Do I need to make sure that the SNMP server is set to send traps to the Cisco Works?

These is my snmp portion:

set snmp community read-only      xxxxx
set snmp community read-write     xxxxx
set snmp community read-write-all xxxxx
set snmp rmon enable
set snmp trap enable  chassis
set snmp trap enable  vtp
set snmp trap 10.11.10.177 xxxxxxx version 1 port 162 owner CLI index 1 wher e 10.11.10.177 is my Ciscoworks server IP.

The syslog portion is

#syslog
set logging console disable
set logging telnet disable
set logging server enable
set logging server 10.11.10.177
set logging level cdp 5 default
set logging level dtp 4 default
set logging level ip 4 default
set logging level pruning 4 default
set logging level snmp 3 default
set logging level spantree 4 default
set logging level vtp 4 default
set logging level mls 4 default
set logging level security 3 default
set logging level ethc 2 default
set logging server facility SYSLOG
set logging server severity 6
set logging buffer 300

Do I need to change anything?  I have Ciscoworks set up to send an email to my work email account but this did not happen last weekend.  If you feel all configurations are correct, then I will wait until this weekend to see if we received a page.

Thank you,

Dwane

Your trap config has no bearing on this.  Your syslog config is fine.  The RME server should be receiving these messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: