Views
Helpful
Replies

Link down state

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I came to know that ports in up / down state and if managed will be notified according to the notification subscription.

What about ports in down/down state? Dont they indicate a failure condition?

When a server NIC gets back or if the cable has got loose, the port should go to a down/down state which indicates a failure condition

which should be notified as well.

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The down/down state has two meanings.  In SNMP speak, down/down means the port is administratively shutdown and thus is also operationally down.  In IOS CLI speak, down/down refers to both the line and the protocol being down (i.e. layers 1 and 2 are down). 

If you are asking about DFM, DFM will see a port which has a CLI status of down/down but an SNMP status of up/down as being down, and will generate an event.  If, however, you have down a "shutdown" on the port/interface, then it will be down/down from the SNMP point of view, and thus not generate an event in DFM.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The down/down state has two meanings.  In SNMP speak, down/down means the port is administratively shutdown and thus is also operationally down.  In IOS CLI speak, down/down refers to both the line and the protocol being down (i.e. layers 1 and 2 are down). 

If you are asking about DFM, DFM will see a port which has a CLI status of down/down but an SNMP status of up/down as being down, and will generate an event.  If, however, you have down a "shutdown" on the port/interface, then it will be down/down from the SNMP point of view, and thus not generate an event in DFM.

Thanks a lot Jason. That was extremely helpful.