Views
Helpful
Replies

Link down state

gautamzone
Level 1
Level 1

Dear friends,

I came to know that ports in up / down state and if managed will be notified according to the notification subscription.

What about ports in down/down state? Dont they indicate a failure condition?

When a server NIC gets back or if the cable has got loose, the port should go to a down/down state which indicates a failure condition

which should be notified as well.

Thanks and Regards

Gautam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The down/down state has two meanings.  In SNMP speak, down/down means the port is administratively shutdown and thus is also operationally down.  In IOS CLI speak, down/down refers to both the line and the protocol being down (i.e. layers 1 and 2 are down). 

If you are asking about DFM, DFM will see a port which has a CLI status of down/down but an SNMP status of up/down as being down, and will generate an event.  If, however, you have down a "shutdown" on the port/interface, then it will be down/down from the SNMP point of view, and thus not generate an event in DFM.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The down/down state has two meanings.  In SNMP speak, down/down means the port is administratively shutdown and thus is also operationally down.  In IOS CLI speak, down/down refers to both the line and the protocol being down (i.e. layers 1 and 2 are down). 

If you are asking about DFM, DFM will see a port which has a CLI status of down/down but an SNMP status of up/down as being down, and will generate an event.  If, however, you have down a "shutdown" on the port/interface, then it will be down/down from the SNMP point of view, and thus not generate an event in DFM.

Thanks a lot Jason. That was extremely helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco