Views
Helpful
Replies

ATA 186 (SCCP) not upgrading via TFTP

sebastianwagner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

has anyone seen ATAs not upgrading on a recent Callmanager Version?

We are running several 7.1.2 / 7.1.3 installations and allmost every ATA does not upgrade to the TFTP-supplied SCCP Software 3.2.4 but stays on 3.1.0.

They register and seem to work AND they are not even listed as running on outdated software in CUCM.

The ATAs are directly out of the box from our vendors and properly configured.

I cannot see any problems in the traces.

Regards,

Sebastian

6 Replies 6

thomas.bader
Level 1
Level 1

... assuming that you speak german:

-       Die Datei ata18x-v2-16-1-ms-030814a-1.zip auf einem PC in einem Ordner (möglichst mit kurzem Pfadnamen) entpacken.
-       DOS Box öffnen und in das Verzeichnis des erstellten Ordners wechseln
-       "ata186us.exe ata18x-v2-16-1-ms-030814a.zup -d3 -any2" eingeben
(ggf. blockiert ein Antivierenprogramm die korrekte Ausführung des Programms)
-       Ein analoges Telefon an den Port "Phone 1" des ATA anschliessen.
-       Hörer abheben, Taste am ATA drücken, Stimme abwarten und LANGSAM (=1 Taste pro Sekunde) den im Programmfenster angegebenen Code eingeben.
(Beispiel: 100#10*199*136*15*8000#)

Ob das Update erfolgreich war (oder eben nicht) wird von der Stimme mitgeteilt. Danach einfach auflegen.

Im weiteren Verlauf startet der ATA neu und lädt dann direkt die im CallManager  konfigurierte Firmware.

(This was just copy and paste from a recent email with a similar issue. In my case this procedure worked. If you do not speak german, please drop a note and I'll try to translate)

regards Thomas

Hi! Has anybody found a solution to this? I am running into the same problem, but do not have the opportunity to do a manual upgrade like Thomas suggested (customer is at a remote site). I need to upgrade via TFTP.

Would appreciate any input!

Hi,

it seems to be related to bug CSCsd44357 "ATA186 Auto-Registration Fails if XMLDefault file exceeds 4k in Size "

Sniffering the ethernet connection the ata downloads the xml configuration file but fails at some point.

You may manipulate the xml file on a dedicated temporary tftp-server or let someone dial 100#*69 on the ata

Up to now there's no solution for that.

Sebastian

In addition to Sebastian's comment - the person doing the manual upgrade should do so on the phone connected to the phone 1 port. 

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! Thats a nasty bug...

Unfortunately fax machines are connected to the ata, so the manual method will be a bit difficult. I have a few questions about the TFTP method. I want to upgrade the the ATA software from 3.1.0 to 3.2.4. I've been trying to find guides of how to prepare the TFTP server, but I cant find a . So far this is what happens (please correct me):

- I set up a TFTP server with the necessary files (modified config, load) on it

- Specify the TFTP server IP on the ATA webpage and reload ATA

- ATA fetches config file from my TFTP server since it is less than 4K in size. Config file contains info, such as load and CUCM servers

- ATA upgrades load from TFTP server if different from the load is has on it

- ATA restarts and registers with CUCM with load 3.2.4

Some questions:

1) Where do I get the config file/template, and how is it named? Can I set up a default config file? Is it the file specified here and here? Can I download a currently used config file, and just change it? I will need to use settings for Germany...tone, candence etc.

2) How can I modify it to be less than 4k? What lines can I leave out? As soon as I remove the commented out lines in the atadefault.txt file I get the message "error: unknown or encrypted file: 'atadefault.txt'" after converting with cfgfmt

3) If the above file I assumed is correct, how do I specify the load image_filename in the atadefault.txt config file? It needs to be in the format e.g. ata186-v2-14-ms-020514a.zup, but the file included in the .zip is e.g. ATA030204SCCP090202A.zup. I tried renaming, but without success.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Ingo

Hi,

I managed to get the ATAs to upgrade themselves. I downloaded and modified the XMLDefault.cnf.xml file (removed all the load info for other phones). I placed this, along with the ATA030204SCCP090202A.zup file on my own TFTP server. When an AltTFTP server is specified, the ATA will get the config and load from my TFTP server and the upgrade is successful.

I am a bit confused though. How does this .cnf.xml file relate to the file specified in the guide here? Obviously its not the same. When does the ATA request which file? Or is this a newer procudure which I didnt find any info on?

Would appreciate it if someone would fill in the blanks for me, or point me to some docs which will provide the info.

Ingo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: