Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundand Default Routes

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I have a WAN interface and a DSL interface at a remote site. Currently remote site uses WAN interface to go to a hub site for internet access as it has a fatter internet pipe.

However if the WAN cloud has a problem, VPN kicks in and the remote site still has access to the hub via DSL. However, I want the remote site to use the DSL for internet instead.

Currently, I have a default route pointing to an interface (ie ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Gig0/1.2) and a floating default to the DSL (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dsl's interface 200). This implies that if the main G0/1 does down, the DSL kicks in but this doesn't address problems in the WAN cloud. How do I get around this?

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Implementing a dynamic routing protocol will resolve this issue as routing protocols have hellos and dead-timers to detect indirect failure in the path.

You can also implement IP SLA and track the ip route by pinging the remote host. If the remote host times out, the track will remove the route from the RIB.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsicmp.html

Regards

Edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco