cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Enable Port on 2940..why?

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Catalyst 2940-8TF, there are two fiber option 1. mtrj interface 2.sfp interface.

I have nothing plugged into the sfp gig port. The mtrj port always says disabled, but I can't seem to enable it. Why?

5 Replies 5

sridsdale
Level 1
Level 1

Have you told the switch that it is to use RJ45 and not the SFP slot for the interface?

I'm not familiar with the model in question but usually when you have multiple media types for one interface use need to set the media type, in this case:

int gig 0/1

media-type rj45

I agree it's usually a media type command , you have to choose one or the other , both cannot be live.

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Have You tried to reload the switch.

What I can remember, if there is an sfp installed when switch boots up, it will use sfp port and disable mtrj.

The mtrj will be disabled even if You remove the sfp. If this is Your case, You have to reboot the switch

/Mikael

I had the opposite problem.  I used the MTRJ port and then tried to use the SFP which showed disabled.  Rebooting the switch worked.  Thanks for the tip.  Strange that you can't use the media-type command!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

I've got this model and I don't recall seeing a "media type" command for the SFP/MTRJ port.

During the bootup, can you check if the POST is successful or fail?

Also try the command "sh post".

If worst-comes-to-worst, just RMA the darn thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card