cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE Daisy Chain Dilemma

asharkhalid
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario where i have only one PoE access port available, and i have to daisy chain three devices on that single port, 2 of them are PoE enabled as per my findings we cannot daisy chain two POE devices on a single access port and im not sure if we can hook three devices by any means because usually their is only one access port available on IP phones to hook the PC. i have IP PoE video surveilance camera, PoE enabled IP phone both of them take 7 watts each and a PC.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gee whiz.  I hope you are not using a port splitter because it sure won't work.

You can get a power brick and or a power injector.

No im not using Port splitter, part of the problem is if i could attach the IP phone directly to the port and daisy chain the PC, from where am i going to provide the data connectivity to IP camera, even after using the PoE injector.

[IP Phone]----------[PC]-----!-----[(PoE IP Camera) But How]

We are willing to change the IP phones if it could provide an additional PoE port for the IP camera.

Buy an additional switch that supports POE. You'll determine this sometimes by the V at the end of the model number such as "4148-rj45v"

asharkhalid
Level 1
Level 1

I have 9 Rooms on 6 Different floors, so acquiring a switch for each room is not a feasible option, i guess their is no way i can hook two PoE devices on a single access port initially i thought IP Phones already have a small switch, that can do basic switching, so i thought their might be an IP phone with an additional PoE port to provide power to IP camera.

Guys i have to come up with a viable solution for this problem and i have very few days, please do add your feedback, i appreciate dlawson001 and leolahoo thanx mates.

Hi,

I gave a though to your dilemma.

Just see the options with the kind of connectivity you are looking for:-

1. switch port ---------- IP phone ------------- PC --------------- camera. In this scenario, at first you need two NIC's on PC. Then you can bridge the NIC on the PC for camera to communicate with the switch. You need to provide external power supply to camera. In this case, your camera will communicate on the data vlan only. I am not sure if it's possible for it to communicate over the voice vlan. However, there is still a very rare possibility where in you put your voice as native vlan, and have camera vlan capabilities as native. Very hard to imagine such setup.

2.  switch port ---------- IP Phone ------- camera ---------- PC. I don't think this is even possible, unless your camera has switch-port NIC.

So, the only viable solution is, use the connectivity as switch port ------------ IP Phone ------------ PC. A standard config. Then, use another switch port ------------ power injector ---------- camera. I guess you must be having additional vacant port on each of the different room / floors. If not, you should get one.

HTH

cheers,

Saurabh

Hello,

I agree with you, I can understand there is no provision in IP Camera to be daisy chained, and a dual NIC PC is not a viable option, that means no need to change the hardware ill have to find additional ports or use small switches, guys thanx for feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card