Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N PPPoE issues

vl.angelov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Few days ago i bought WRVS4400N and i tried to connect it to my ISP which is working only on PPPoE connection. Unfortunately we wasn't able to make it work. Please see below the log of the router when i try to connect via PPPoE:

Plugin pppoe loaded.
PPPoE Plugin Initialized
Plugin pppoe called.
pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Sending PADI
HOST_UNIQ successful match
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:08:fc (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:08:fc (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x002e (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0006 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): r1-bor PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) PPP
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:09:8e (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x002e (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0006 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): r5-bor PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) PPP
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c8:09:8e (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Unexpected packet: Ether addr: 00:16:76:c7:f4:a2 (PPPOE Discovery) PPPoE hdr: ver=0x1 type=0x1 code=0x07 sid=0x0000 length=0x0030 (PADO) PPPoE tag: type=0102 length=0008 (AC Name) data (UTF-8): raspppoe PPPoE tag: type=0101 length=0000 (Service name) P
Connecting PPPoE socket: 00:00:00:00:00:00 0000 0x427d8
Couldn't get channel number: Transport endpoint is not connected
Doing disconnect
Exit.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Your help is really appriciated!! Thank you!!!

60 Replies 60

vl.angelov
Level 1
Level 1

I forgot to add that the router is v2 and i recently updated the firmware to the latest 2.0.0.7

Noone have any ideas?

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This may be a too obvious of a question but I have to ask. Is your modem set to "Bridge" mode? From the log it looks like it may not be.

Check and let us know. If you are not sure a simple test would be to plug the router to the modem and set it to DHCP, and take a look at the address it receives. You may be surprised to find that you actually got a public IP; however, it is most likely you will get a "192.168.x.x" address.

I have been noticing that more and more DSL providers are providing modems that will automatically bridge themselfs when a router is detected.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately in my case i am not using a modem, it is just a lan cable comming from my ISP directly connected to my router.

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

Is the MTU size for your PPPoE connection set to auto?  I would set the MTU to manual and set the size to 1492.

Hello,

The MTU size was auto at the beginning then i tried with change it but without any success

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible this is an ADSL connection instead of a DSL connection?

No, this is a pure lan connection, there is no client modem. I am not sure what type of device the ISP have on the other side. Thanks!

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

If you bypass the router and set up a PPPoE connection from your PC, using the user name and password given by your ISP, can you access the internet?

Yes without any problems

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

vl.angelov,

I am sorry for all the questions, but what is the ISP company you are using?  Thanks.

Hello,

It is one of the biggest ISP in Bulgaria, which basically offer LAN and Optic internet connection. In my case it is LAN connection thru ftp cable.

It looks like the WRVS4400N is not understanding the PADO being sent by your ISP. Please ask your ISP what RFC they use for their PPPoE connection. I will do some research on my end and try to have some answers to a few questions I have about our routers. I will be awaiting your response.

Bill

By the way, what username are you using to connect? You can Private Message it to me if you don't want to post it.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I already contacted my ISP and waiting for their answer. Regarding the username its quite standard but it have 1 at the end. Could it be the problem that we have a digit in the username?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: