Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 - SFP is loose in the Switche´s SFP bay

Caue W
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I´ve just installed 10x WS-C2960-48TC-L and 01x WS-C2960-24TC-L using GLC-SX-MM SFP modules, and in all (absolutely all of them) the SFP doesn´t fit really well... it´s kind of loose in the SFP bay, it looks like that either the SFP are manufactured too small or the SFP bay too big, because anytime we touch the fiber cable on those switches the SFP pop´s out, loosing the connection to the CORE.

Also tested in a 3750, and it fits better (not perfectly, but better), at least it doesn´t pop out when touching the fiber cable...

My question is, anyone faced this issue already?! Any official word from Cisco about this issue?!

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should not be the case with new products.  I have had the same issues with 3750s from Demo Depot, but that is because the get abused by the customers.  The SFP or X2 modules in new products should fit nicely

I would talk to the sales person to get replacement.

HTH

Reza

bascheew
Level 1
Level 1

We have a customer with the same problem.  We just installed a few 2960 switches (both WS-C2960G-48TC-L and WS-C2960G-24TC-L) and every single SFP module is very loose and will go dead with the slightest touch.  The TAC sent us new modules but they do the same thing.  We are going to call them back and see what they'd like us to do.  In the meantime we are using media converters as they could not be relied upon for production.

John Milan
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem and thought I was doomed as I have to install several 2960G's with GLC-LH-SM used for uplinks.

Insert the SFP, do not remove the rubber boot dustcover. Then do a karate chop using the heel of your hand to hit the dustcover boot and the SFP will lock into place.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card