Helpful
Replies

Replacing Unity Hardware

yogesh.mhatre
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Good Day everybody.

We have a client who is willing to upgrade/replace the current hardware on which Unity server reside with up to date Cisco MCS 7845 servers. Client has 2 Unity Server's in failover and one off box exchange server. We have Unity 5.x installed and would be the same version after the upgrade.

I am reading the replacing and upgrade guide for Unity and it is saying use DIRT and restore the backup on the new server. There is no information on how to upgrade the off box server.

Can some one help me here? Has anyone done this before?

Does the replacing and upgrading guide procedures are good enough to follow or there are any specific i need to follow?

Please help...

Thank You

Yogesh

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming you are doing the following:

Existing platform is Unity 5.x on Windows 2000

New hardware has been purchased.

You can probably do the rolling upgrade procedure.  I used this to replace the OS on a few Unity clusters and it works fine.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/50curollupgrade.html

DIRT backup the failover

Shut down the primary

Stop the WWW services

load the new server with windows 2003,

join the domain

install SQL and service packs

run the Service Pack disc for Unity

Load Exchange Admin pack and service packs

Load unity

load any unity ESs from previous load

DIRT restore

rerun failover

bring primary back online.

For the failover, its pretty much the same, other than you dont have to do a DIRT restore. Just rerun failover and on the secondary server and it should replicate the database.

Same hostname, Same IP address.  No changes or it will not work.

enjoy

If the version will be the same after hardware upgrade then TCat has you covered.

Thank you for your response TC..

We have 2 unity 5.x Servers on Windows 2003 and one offbox exchange server 2003. I have done the upgrades for Unity Servers and i will follow your guidelines... but i have never replaced offbox Exchange server....

Do you have any good documents for the same i can go through...?

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: