Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to get DSN on the DB read step

nareh84
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

i want to access db_cra to read some information... actually there are some customised stored procedure which read value from tables in db_cra database...i want to make the dsn on the ipccx server which connects to its on db_cra database.. during the sql server installation it didn't asked for anything (mixed mode or userid and password).. i am using window nt radio button during creating dsn...now when i create the dsn on app admin and whn i open crs editor to make a script...db read is not showing me the dsn name.. i think i am not entering the correct user id and password... what user id and password should i enter (because sql server didn't asked for user id and pasword) during the installation..any idea about it??

Regards

Naresh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Naresh,

The ODBC connection should be created on both the servers.

If the ODBC connection test is successful then the IPCCX is able to connect to database.

There are two scenarios in which we create ODBC connection.

-->In case we use wallboard we create the ODBC connection from the wallboard server towards the IPCC server and in this case the authentication type has to be windows authentication and NOT the sql authentication

-->In case we have the database on the external server and we create ODBC connection from the IPCC server to the external datasource server then we can use either sql or windows NT authentication.

We can create a user on the external Server and give it local admin rights if we want to use Windows authentication or give admin rights on the sql database if we want to use sql authentication and then create the ODBC connection from CRS towards the external database.

Note

One common issue in case of HA is that sometimes customers use Database lookup steps in script and there they don’t get the System DSN in the dropdown.

In this scenario make sure that the ODBC connection is created on both the servers and then refresh the database and after that System DSN should populate in the dropdown in the script.

Steps to create ODBC connection for wallboard (ODBC connection from the PC running wallboard towards CRS server)

=== On the CRS Database Server ===

Create a user/password that matches the account to be used on the server where the reporting client will be running.  Grant the account administrative privileges.

=== On the Server running the reporting client ===

From the Windows Control Panel:

- Create a system DSN on your Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 2000 Server by choosing Start> Programs > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC).

The OBDC Data Source Administrator window opens.

- Click the System DSN tab and click Add. The Create New Data Source window opens.

- In the Create New Data Source window, choose a SQL Server driver and click Finish.

The first Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the Name field, specify a name for this DSN (for example, CRS-HRDB.)

- In the Description field, enter a descriptive name\.

- In the Which SQL Server field, enter the CRS server IP address or system name followed by \CRSSQL  For example, MyCRS\CRSSQL.

- Click Next.

The second Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- n the second Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, click the Windows NT server authentication radio button.

- Click Next.

The third Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the third Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, change the default database to db_cra and click Next.

The fourth Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the fourth Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, click Finish.

The ODBC Microsoft SQL Server window opens.

- In the ODBC Microsoft SQL Server window, click Test Data Source.

If the phrase Test completed successfully is returned, click OK. This should allow you Wallboard system to access CRS database as required.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rajiv Lal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Naresh,

Was the ODBC conntection test successful?

In case you are using HA you need to create ODBC connection on both the servers to get the DSN names in the dropdown in CRS editor?

Please confirm where have you create the ODBC connection ? is the Database external to CRS server?

HTH

Please rate all replies

Rajiv

hi,

i am connecting to the local db_cra database of IPCCX..The test was successful..yes the deployment is HA and i created dsn on one server.. may be that is the issue..but i am still unclear what username and password i use to create database subsustem and whether i use window nt radio button or sql server radio button during window dsn creation..

Regards

Naresh

Hi Naresh,

The ODBC connection should be created on both the servers.

If the ODBC connection test is successful then the IPCCX is able to connect to database.

There are two scenarios in which we create ODBC connection.

-->In case we use wallboard we create the ODBC connection from the wallboard server towards the IPCC server and in this case the authentication type has to be windows authentication and NOT the sql authentication

-->In case we have the database on the external server and we create ODBC connection from the IPCC server to the external datasource server then we can use either sql or windows NT authentication.

We can create a user on the external Server and give it local admin rights if we want to use Windows authentication or give admin rights on the sql database if we want to use sql authentication and then create the ODBC connection from CRS towards the external database.

Note

One common issue in case of HA is that sometimes customers use Database lookup steps in script and there they don’t get the System DSN in the dropdown.

In this scenario make sure that the ODBC connection is created on both the servers and then refresh the database and after that System DSN should populate in the dropdown in the script.

Steps to create ODBC connection for wallboard (ODBC connection from the PC running wallboard towards CRS server)

=== On the CRS Database Server ===

Create a user/password that matches the account to be used on the server where the reporting client will be running.  Grant the account administrative privileges.

=== On the Server running the reporting client ===

From the Windows Control Panel:

- Create a system DSN on your Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 2000 Server by choosing Start> Programs > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC).

The OBDC Data Source Administrator window opens.

- Click the System DSN tab and click Add. The Create New Data Source window opens.

- In the Create New Data Source window, choose a SQL Server driver and click Finish.

The first Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the Name field, specify a name for this DSN (for example, CRS-HRDB.)

- In the Description field, enter a descriptive name\.

- In the Which SQL Server field, enter the CRS server IP address or system name followed by \CRSSQL  For example, MyCRS\CRSSQL.

- Click Next.

The second Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- n the second Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, click the Windows NT server authentication radio button.

- Click Next.

The third Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the third Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, change the default database to db_cra and click Next.

The fourth Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window opens.

- In the fourth Create a New Data Source to SQL Server window, click Finish.

The ODBC Microsoft SQL Server window opens.

- In the ODBC Microsoft SQL Server window, click Test Data Source.

If the phrase Test completed successfully is returned, click OK. This should allow you Wallboard system to access CRS database as required.

HTH

yup, i was missing the DSN on the second server so it resolved my issue ..

thanx man

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: