cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A quick one (hopefully) on Vlan trunks and link aggregation.

danabersoch
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there and thank you in advance...

I am using packet tracer to do this so keep in mind it maybe a limitation of the application!  but still let me know if it is!

A bit of background:         I have a 3560 L3 switch, off that I have 9 access switches.

I want to use link aggregation control protocol to aggregate two trunk links from each access layer switch to the central L3 switch.

I havn't hit any problems yet I should add but here is my worry:

What is the value 1 in the command channel-group 1 mode active, for, because when I put in a ? it says enter value between 1 and 6.  On my L3 switch Im going to need 9 aggregated links so does this value represent an instance and do I need to put different values in this command for all the links to the access switches???

hope my question makes sense, if not please enquire,  thank you again for reading.

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

>> t says enter value between 1 and 6.  On my L3 switch Im going to need 9 aggregated links so does this value represent an instance and do I need to put different values in this command for all the links to the access switches???

yes and this means you cannot have 8 bundles active at the same time on that box but only 6.

you need to review your design leaving with a single link those switches where a lower traffic volume is expected or where less critical users are connected.

Otherwise you need to move to a design with two devices at distribution layer or to use a more powerful box.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dan,

>> t says enter value between 1 and 6.  On my L3 switch Im going to need 9 aggregated links so does this value represent an instance and do I need to put different values in this command for all the links to the access switches???

yes and this means you cannot have 8 bundles active at the same time on that box but only 6.

you need to review your design leaving with a single link those switches where a lower traffic volume is expected or where less critical users are connected.

Otherwise you need to move to a design with two devices at distribution layer or to use a more powerful box.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for the reply, as it is a college assignment I shoul be able

to change things around to ffit in with this.

Your reply has saved me doing a lot of incorrect configs, cheers, dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card