Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS integration with other NMS Tool

Hello friends...We are going to upgrade our existing WCS v5.1.65.4 to v6.0.170.0 and after that planning to integrate it with a 3rd part NMS tool.for any critical alerts\traps. So if any critical event related to WLC\AP received in WCS, it will send those alerts to NMS and based on the severity of alerts, The NMS will open a remedy ticket in BMC remedy tool. 

Can any one provide the document or configuration steps for WCS to make it as as trap sender for NMS

5 Replies 5

Mike Bailey
Level 1
Level 1

Would be very interested in any reply to this.

We are about to try and integrate WCS into another NMS tool (OpenView) to automatically create Remedy Cases and the only obvious way I can see is to use an OpenView agent on WCS to capture the raw SNMP alarms coming into WCS which means you loose some of the advantages of WCS.

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

WCS is a standalone product and handles all the snmp traps and messages from the WLCs. It's not meant to forward those traps to other NMS servers.

However, you may request a feature enhancement via your account team / sales channel.

Really? I configured it with external NMS without problems. Did you heard about Notification  Receiver in WCS configuration. All traps received from WLC are forwarded to external systems.

Notification  Receiver
SNMP
SNMP Parameters

I suggest to read the manuals http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/6_0admin.html#wp1131316

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/6.0/configuration/guide/6_0event.html

Hi,

did that result in WCS forwarding on to your NMS any useful event/alert traps to do with the managed infrastructure? I haven't used the tool but my reading of the manuals seems to say that Notification Receiver function only applies to Guest User Access related events/alerts? As per

"This notification is generated by WCS when a notification sent to a northbound receiver fails. Currently only guest user related notifications (such as creation, deletion, log in, and log off) can be sent to a northbound receiver."

I can't see any other control mechanism for what event/alerts get forwarded. Well other than enabling email that is:)

Regards

David, you understood it correctly.

The Notification Receivers under Administration > Settings > Notification Receivers
are something of a subset of SNMP Trap Relay functionality, although the items forwarded
along here only relate to guest user accounts (creation, expiration, etc.). 

This is why I initially suggested an enhancement request as the feature you are looking for is not available in WCS.

And yes, sending email from the alerts is a way to get some information forwarded.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: