Urgent: Need help for choosing a security appliance!

Answered Question
Dec 8th, 2009

Hello,

I'm needing to buy a security appliance for a small business network. I'm between the Cisco ASA 5505 and the Cisco SA 540. I have read both technical data sheets and features but I don't know which one is the right solution for me.

I will deploy a Small Business Server 2008 Premium so I will have an Exchange Server. The Exchange Server will be installed in the same server with the Windows Server that manages my network so I really don't know if this server should be connected to the DMZ port.

I will need remote access to the office network using either VPN client software or web browser with SSL. If users can download the VPN client from the appliance it's better but don't really needed.

Small Business Server 2008 comes with a Remote Web Workspace so users should connect to the server and of course to the Outlook Web Access app via a web browser.

Right now I don't need site-to-site tunnel but maybe in the near future.

I will deploy the Symantec Protection Suite Small Business Edition that includes features to protect email, exchange server, viruses, worms, spyware and malware.

So, which appliance I should go for?

Regards,

Rodrigo

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 6 years 11 months ago

Both products can do this.  Both products can do SSL VPN's.  Both products can do site to site tunnels.  The SA500 does have integration into Trend Micro which can protect against email threats in the cloud, it can also have web content filtering as well.  The SA500 is simplier to configure, but doesn't have all of the features that a ASA has. 

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Steven Smith Tue, 12/08/2009 - 13:39

Both products can do this.  Both products can do SSL VPN's.  Both products can do site to site tunnels.  The SA500 does have integration into Trend Micro which can protect against email threats in the cloud, it can also have web content filtering as well.  The SA500 is simplier to configure, but doesn't have all of the features that a ASA has. 

rlobera2607 Tue, 12/08/2009 - 13:47

Steven,

Thank you very much for your help.

What are the other features that the ASA 5505 has against the SA 540?

Actions

This Discussion