8 or 16 WLANs Supported

Answered Question
Dec 8th, 2009

Ok, I've been searching everywhere and I can't seem to find the answer.  I know the WLCs support up to 16 WLANs but I could have sworn that I saw that only 8 could be active at one time.  We are running a combination of WISM, WLC 4400, and WLC 2100s in our environment.  The only places wer're going to need more than 8 is at our WISM and WLC 4400 locations.

Any help is appreciated (and supporting documentation if you have it).

Thanks all!

Ryan

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by John Cook about 7 years 3 days ago

I dont have the docs in front of me, but I know that the 6.0 code supports more than 8 (I believe 16), since we currently have 10 WLANs deployed during our migration. -John

Edit: Found this in the 6.0 WLC config guide: 

All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but

you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups)

to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

And this from the 4.2 guide:

The Cisco UWN Solution can control up to 16 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has

a separate WLAN ID (1 through 16), a separate WLAN SSID (WLAN name), and can be assigned unique

security policies.

Message was edited by: [email protected]

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
John Cook Tue, 12/08/2009 - 07:58

I dont have the docs in front of me, but I know that the 6.0 code supports more than 8 (I believe 16), since we currently have 10 WLANs deployed during our migration. -John

Edit: Found this in the 6.0 WLC config guide: 

All controllers publish up to 16 WLANs to each connected access point, but

you can create up to 512 WLANs and then selectively publish these WLANs (using access point groups)

to different access points to better manage your wireless network.

And this from the 4.2 guide:

The Cisco UWN Solution can control up to 16 WLANs for lightweight access points. Each WLAN has

a separate WLAN ID (1 through 16), a separate WLAN SSID (WLAN name), and can be assigned unique

security policies.

Message was edited by: [email protected]

Ryan Curry Wed, 12/09/2009 - 13:58

Tom, I know there's a way to have one SSID set up and let ACS specify which VLANs the user gets assigned to based on group membership.  It sounds like you may want to look into 802.1x authentication and let ACS sort it out.

JCook, thanks for the info; I'm going to look deeper into it since we're on 4.2.

Leo Laohoo Thu, 12/31/2009 - 15:01

Controllers will accept up to 512 SSIDs but only 24 will be broadcast or active.

George Stefanick Fri, 01/01/2010 - 20:25

Keep in minnd each SSID you add creates network utilization. I ran test with 1 meg rates enabled with 10 ssids and the medium was at 40% with no traffic. just beacons.

George Stefanick Tue, 01/05/2010 - 08:39

Im glad you understand, because most folks dont consider or overlook and think its ok

to have 16 SSIDs... Just because you can do 16, doesnt mean you should do 16 .. LOL

If your location has multi level floors and location/voip grade on 2.4 GHz you will surely have high utilization if the data rates aren't properly set and cell sizes designed properly.

Actions

This Discussion