cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Route via EIGRP

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I have two BGP routers one connected via MPLS and the other one is connected via Private T1 Line.  Both Routers have EBGP connections to MPLS and to the T1 and also have IBGP session between them.  The Ethernet ports on both routers are connected to the LAN Routers via EIGRP.  The BGP routers are receving Default Routes from the BGP Cloud and then advertised Default Routes to EIGRP via redistribution.  We would like MPLS default routes as a primary path to internal EIGRP router and backup by default routes via other BGP router.

What would be the best way to configure this.  Would change the metrics while redistributing default routes into EIGRP work such as:

on T1 BGP WAN Router:

redistributed static route-map CHANGE-METRIC

route-map CHANGE-METRIC permit 10

match ip address 99

set metric 412284672 100 255 1 1500

access-list permit 99 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Please advise.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

abbas.ali wrote:

I have two BGP routers one connected via MPLS and the other one is connected via Private T1 Line.  Both Routers have EBGP connections to MPLS and to the T1 and also have IBGP session between them.  The Ethernet ports on both routers are connected to the LAN Routers via EIGRP.  The BGP routers are receving Default Routes from the BGP Cloud and then advertised Default Routes to EIGRP via redistribution.  We would like MPLS default routes as a primary path to internal EIGRP router and backup by default routes via other BGP router.

What would be the best way to configure this.  Would change the metrics while redistributing default routes into EIGRP work such as:

on T1 BGP WAN Router:

redistributed static route-map CHANGE-METRIC

route-map CHANGE-METRIC permit 10

match ip address 99

set metric 412284672 100 255 1 1500

access-list permit 99 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Please advise.

Personally i would use an offset-list to achieve this -

EIGRP offset-list

Jon

John,

I tried offset list but it didn't seem to work.

Would I apply offset list on a WAN Router connected to T1 such as

Router eigrp 111

redistribute static

offset-list 44994949 out fastethernet 0/0

Note:  Would I point offset list to the interface connects to Internal Router.

Regards,

abbas.ali wrote:

John,

I tried offset list but it didn't seem to work.

Would I apply offset list on a WAN Router connected to T1 such as

Router eigrp 111

redistribute static

Note:  Would I point offset list to the interface connects to Internal Router.

Regards,

You would apply the offset-list to the ethernet interface on the T1 router. If it's not working then before applying the offset check what the value is on your internal LAN routers.

Jon

Router eigrp 111

redistribute static

That's not the correct syntax and the reason it was accepted by the IOS was because 44994949 was accepted as a named ACL

If you want to offset a route in EIGRP, the syntax is:

offset-list {access-list-number | access-list-name} {in | out} offset [interface-type  interface-number]

For instance:

offset-list 20 out  44994949 fastethernet 0/0

Where 20 is your ACL

If you want to offset all routes, you can use the value of 0

In your case, the offset list didn't have any offset so no action was taken.

Regards

Edison.

Edison,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually, It was a typo error.  I defined the offset list exactly the way you mentioned, but no luck.

Regards,

Hi, sorry if this is totally incorrect as I am joining this discussion a little bit late but i see u mentioned in your original post that you are getting the route via BGP. However your redistribute statement is saying "redistribute static". Could you please clarify if the default route is actually learnt via BGP and if so than you would need " redistribute bgp " under EIGRP. Also with regards to the offset-list are u actually seeing the route as an EIGRP route on your internal devices. If so can you please include a 'show ip route 0.0.0.0', 'show ip eigrp topology 0.0.0.0' and a 'show run | b router eigrp' from the internal devices as well as from the devices running BGP/EIGRP. Thx

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card