Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Modularity Upgrade

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade Sup32 on 6506-E modular IOS from 12.2(33)SXI to 12.2(33)SXI3.  However, after loading the base image for 12.2(33)SXI3, install command is not available.  Has anyone seen similar issue?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

krunal_shah
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue. I used same IOS image and show version shows it is running modular IOs and show proc

CPU shows output looks like modular IOs but not sure why install command is not available.

show version usually shows patching funtionality is enabled or disable.

Anyone else knows how to fix this problem on 12.2(33)SXI3?  No install command available.

Just get a call from Cisco TAC.  Install command and show install command are no longer available.  In addition, patching is no longer available.  So install a modular IOS is just like install a regular IOS.  If there is no patching fuctionality, how does a modular IOS different from a regular IOS image?

eorasoft
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, you should try to boot from ROMmon by changing configuration register value than try to load updated image..

My switch is running correct image file name

C6506C#show ver
Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXI3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 27-Oct-09 06:31 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)S2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

C6506C uptime is 1 hour, 44 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 1 hour, 43 minutes
Time since C6506C switched to active is 1 hour, 43 minutes
System returned to ROM by  power cycle at 12:18:24 EST Tue Dec 8 2009 (SP by power on)
System restarted at 12:23:18 EST Tue Dec 8 2009
System image file is "disk0:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin"
Last reload reason: Unknown reason

I think SXI3 is the last individual release number in SXI. After that we might see SXJ or SYA.

Kevin,

I am running SXI2a and there is definitely an install command so like you found out not having the install command is an SXI3 function

SS-A(config)#install bind ?
disk0:         Bind a search root with prefix disk0:
sup-bootdisk:  Bind a search root with prefix sup-bootdisk:

Reza

Hey guys, just get a confirmation from Cisco TAC about this issue.  Starting 12.2SXI3, install and patching is no longer there.

New Software Features in Release 12.2(33)SXI3

Deprecation of install mode and patching with Cisco IOS Software Modularity—See this publication:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/swmod/configuration/guide/sw_mod_instl_cfg.html

So I asked him why should I run a modular IOS if patching is no longer available.  Here is his answer:

"There are some advantages to running a modular image over native. As I mentioned on the call, we have introduced individuals threads and processes in modular IOS. Because of that, we have segmented different features to where if a certain feature crashes, it will take down only the process it is associated with as opposed to the whole box. A caveat is that we have an all-encompassing process where features that didn't fit into any of the other threads are stored. Because this particular process is quite large and contains a lot of major functionality, if it goes down you will see the SUP reload. This threading also brings slightly more efficient CPU and memory utilization. In regards to memory, we allot a certain amount of memory per process. For a process to request access to memory from another process, it must first have permission. This has reduced the number of crashes we've seen from things like memory corruption in modular releases and helped stabilized overall usage."

grim
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrading from 12.2(33)SXI1 to 12.2(33)SXI3.

The release notes for 12.2(33)SXI3 (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2sx/12_2sxi/12_2_33_sxi3_newfeatlist.html) state that the install command is deprecated.  The notes then refer you to a URL about installing Modular IOS (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/swmod/configuration/guide/sw_mod_instl_cfg.html) which only talks about using the install command and does not mention the install command deprecation.  Very confusing

The bottom line is, modular releases upto and including 12.2(33)SXI2 include the install command to extract the modular image to sup-bootdisk:/ (known as "installed" mode) and release 12.2(33)SXI3 does not (known as "non-installed" mode).  To boot 12.2(33)SXI3 you specify a boot system command in the same way as for any other monolitic image.  ie:

boot system sup-bootdisk:s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3.bin

However, note that the running image is not the regular monlithic image - it is the modular version, denoted the "-vz" as opposed to "-mz" in the name, it is just not extracted to sup-bootdisk:/.

If (as I did) you use the 12.2(33)SXI1 IOS (that does have the install command) to install the 12.2(33)SXI3 image into sup-bootdisk:/, upon reload the following warning is displayed from sh ver:

Warning! This image is running in the unsupported installed mode.  Please revert to running in the non-installed mode.

So it looks like sup-bootdisk:/ is now redundant and can be removed.  Before removing the directories you must change your boot system directive as above and reload to ensure you are not running out of sup-bootdisk:/.  You may then remove the extracted modular image data with:

del /force /recursive sup-bootdisk:

Hope this saves someone a couple of hours!

Dave.

Dave...

You almost saved me a couple hours :-) If only this had shown up in my search in the last two days.

I just got my first set of (4) 6513 with Sup720 for VSS... I have probably reloaded a few different downloads of IOS 20 times now trying to get the INSTALL command to show!!

Everywhere I looked, I saw it saying to use the install command. Normally Cisco DOES do great docs, but I think they dropped the ball here.

Anyways, THANKS for posting this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco