cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2, discovering Cisco IP Phones

david.fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any documentation on how Ciscoworks LMS would work to discover Cisco IP Phones?

-Dave

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is one of the core features of User Tracking.  The documentation on UT should explain the steps in more detail.  Essentially, UT relies on the CAM/MAC tables of switches managed by Campus Manager to build a list of IP phones as basic end hosts.  Then, UT contacts the Call Managers managed by Campus to obtain specific IP phone details such as the phone number and registration status.

View solution in original post

No, CDP is not required for UT phone acquisition, but it may be required for the switch to properly work with the phone.

UT does support the ability to acquire the PC end host, but it depends on the switch type as to how this is done.  Cisco typically recommends such switch ports are not trunking, but rather have a primary and an auxiliary (i.e. voice) VLAN configured.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is one of the core features of User Tracking.  The documentation on UT should explain the steps in more detail.  Essentially, UT relies on the CAM/MAC tables of switches managed by Campus Manager to build a list of IP phones as basic end hosts.  Then, UT contacts the Call Managers managed by Campus to obtain specific IP phone details such as the phone number and registration status.

Then, from your description, can I infer that CDP doesn't need to be enabled on the switchport in order for UT to discover the phone?

Also, I was curious about how UT would discover a computer that is attached to the phone. Would in UT discovery for trunk ports need to enabled to find these computers? Or would the Call Managers relay this information?

-Dave

No, CDP is not required for UT phone acquisition, but it may be required for the switch to properly work with the phone.

UT does support the ability to acquire the PC end host, but it depends on the switch type as to how this is done.  Cisco typically recommends such switch ports are not trunking, but rather have a primary and an auxiliary (i.e. voice) VLAN configured.