Command used to allow 3rd party transceiver on 2960 switch

Unanswered Question
Dec 8th, 2009

I know it is not support by Cisco but I have heard that there is a

command(s) that will not "errdisable" the interface when connecting a 3rd party transceiver.

Thanks in advance,

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.5 (4 ratings)
vvasisth Wed, 12/09/2009 - 03:53

regarding the "service unsupported-transceiver" command I learnt the following.  This command is intended as a last-resort to try to use a
third party Optic product to work with Cisco devices.  Cisco does not gurantee the working of the third party module with this command. If you
wish to use this feature, I would strongly recommend you to read the warning that will be displayed when you execute the command. 

Warning: When Cisco determines that a fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party transceivers installed by a customer or reseller,
then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program. In the course of providing support for a Cisco
networking product Cisco may require that the end user install Cisco transceivers if Cisco determines that removing third-party parts will
assist Cisco in diagnosing the cause of a support issue.

Here is a link that states Cisco's policy on third party modules and warranty information for your reference.

This Discussion