Views
Helpful
Replies

2851 IOS upgrade with new Flash Card

asoka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2851 with :c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T6.bin installed and I need to upgrade to one of the later version, but 6MB flash was not enough.

I ordered the new Flash ( MEM2800-128CF), but the problem is it replace the old Flash and I loose the IOS

How, and what is the best procedure to ge the new IOS and SDM in to new Flash card(to router)

Regaards

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Am I right assuming that your question is that, you have a 2851 router which have flash card loaded with old IOS and your new IOS doesnt fit in this flash. So you ordered a new flash and want to know how to load the router with new IOS?.

If yes, you can remove the old flash when the router is up and running. Now place the new flash with new IOS. If you dont have the new IOS, you can download the same from TFTP to your flash card. Make sure the new IOS is not corrupted while downloading from TFTP and reload the router.

Let us know if your question is not what I answered for.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

Hi,

Yes. Removing flash card will not bring down your router. THis can be done with your router up and running.

Regards,

Nagendra

Hi,

I hope you will have the IOS in TFTP server. If not, download from CCO and copy the same to TFTP server.

Now copy the same from TFTP server to router flash card using "copy tftp flash" command.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi,

Below link will confirm you that Online Insertion and Removal is supported for Compact Flash

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_cflash.html#wp51116

HTH,

Nagendra

7 Replies 7

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Am I right assuming that your question is that, you have a 2851 router which have flash card loaded with old IOS and your new IOS doesnt fit in this flash. So you ordered a new flash and want to know how to load the router with new IOS?.

If yes, you can remove the old flash when the router is up and running. Now place the new flash with new IOS. If you dont have the new IOS, you can download the same from TFTP to your flash card. Make sure the new IOS is not corrupted while downloading from TFTP and reload the router.

Let us know if your question is not what I answered for.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi Thanks for the post,

Yes, your guess is totaly correct.

But, what is this "Now place the new flash with new IOS" , How you get the new IOS to new Flash card

If that is the case, upgrade is very simple.

What you saying is, I can remove the current Flash card without any command to shut down the Flash Card, and incert the new one

So if I ge the IOS in the new Flash, after reboot I should get new IOS image loaded in the router

Regards

Hi,

Yes. Removing flash card will not bring down your router. THis can be done with your router up and running.

Regards,

Nagendra

Hi Thanks for that, and one other important thing

How to get the new IOS to new Flash card

Regards

Hi,

I hope you will have the IOS in TFTP server. If not, download from CCO and copy the same to TFTP server.

Now copy the same from TFTP server to router flash card using "copy tftp flash" command.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi Thanks for your prompt reply, I want to be 100% sure about the hot pluggablew Flash card , do you see any URLs from Cisco.

Hi,

Below link will confirm you that Online Insertion and Removal is supported for Compact Flash

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_cflash.html#wp51116

HTH,

Nagendra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco