Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP Server question

raoul2341
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have recently setup a medium size network with around 70 switches and I am now getting to the point where I need to configure the time on those switches. I understand that I need to identify a device to use as NTP server. We don't currently have a spare router so the option is to buy one to use solely as NTP server. Does any of you know the cheapest cisco model i could get as it would be a waste to get an expensive one just to use as NTP server unless there is another way that does not involve getting a Router. Also can I use a windows server as an NTP server to use with switches?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

Since you have a small to medium size network you can use a couple of servers and set them up as NTP servers.  Then use the Internet or other authoritative source for your NTP server to synchronize their time. Then have all your network equipment synchronize their time to theses servers.

HTH

Reza

Hello Reza et al

Many thanks for your reply.

We have a PDC emulator that is configured as an ntp server. On a switch, I have entered the command "ntp server ip_address_of_ntp_server" in config mode but the time on the switch is not synchronised. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi,

Did you configure timzone coorectly on your switch and did you verify connectivity from your switch to NTP server is fine?

thanks

vinod

Hi Vinod

The answer is yes to both your questions but the time on switch does not synchronise.

Thanks.

Hi,

Could you please provide the output of the followin commands.

show ntp associations

show clock detail

thanks

Vinod

Hi

Here are the details:

show ntp associations

address         ref clock     st  when  poll reach  delay  offset    disp
~10.221.27.83    10.221.16.101     3   819  1024  377     0.7  132754   220.4
* master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~ configured

sh clo detail
.13:42:06.659 GMT Thu Dec 10 2009
Time source is NTP
Summer time starts 01:00:00 GMT Sun Mar 28 2010
Summer time ends 02:00:00 GMT Sun Oct 31 2010

The time on the ntp server is 14:05

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: