Views
Helpful
Replies

disk0: compactflash error and resolve question

jacobi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have an ASA5505, where the disk0: (CF) died. Writing brings "I/O error", an attempt to format fails (card is read-only it says). I know that I can change the CF card by unplugging and replugging a new CF card into the CF slot inside the ASA5505. Now I wonder, is there any command or any trick to make the device read the new card?

So far, all attempts to change the card in the running ASA fail: the new card is not recognized. All commands (dir, fsck, format) behave as if the old card is still plugged in (reading errors). When I use the new flash card with another ASA, the card is immediately recognized and used.

Now, is there a way to make the ASA read the new card without rebooting?

Any suggestion would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Olaf Jacobi

2 Replies 2

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No tricks to read the card.

There might be a hardware issue related to this.

You can open a case and they should be able to tell you what should be done or if you need an RMA.

I hope it helps.

PK

Hi again,

thanks for the reply. What I had to do:

- remove the (defect) 128MB Cisco CF card

- copy the necessary files (image, configuration, ASDM) to a new card

- plug in the new CF card (I used a 1GB CF card)

- reboot the ASA

Then the ASA complained that the activation codes can't be read from the new flash card, thus it started as K8 only, no 3DES available. I then requested the needed activation key from Cisco:

"Cisco ASA 3DES/AES License"

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet?FormId=139

Activated the features, rebooted again - and voilá, the Cisco ASA5505 works as always (only with a new CF card).

Regards,

Olaf.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: