cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vtp

davehall27
Level 1
Level 1

I've got 2 3750 switches in a secure vtp domain - one is vtp server, the other vtp client.  I'd like to manage both switches separately with no vlan propagation between them, i.e. not use vtp at all.

Is there a way to reconfigure the switches such that they are no longer using vtp but retain all the existing VLAN information or would removing the vtp config and setting both to transparent mode wipe any existing existing vlans that were set up when the switches were in a vtp domain.

Thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

Nothing will happen to existing vlan database in a switch when it transitions from client to transparent.

Have look at this:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/4626

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davehall27 wrote:

I've got 2 3750 switches in a secure vtp domain - one is vtp server, the other vtp client.  I'd like to manage both switches separately with no vlan propagation between them, i.e. not use vtp at all.

Is there a way to reconfigure the switches such that they are no longer using vtp but retain all the existing VLAN information or would removing the vtp config and setting both to transparent mode wipe any existing existing vlans that were set up when the switches were in a vtp domain.

Thanks

Dave

If you convert the switches to VTP transparent then the switch will write it's vlan database to the running config so you should be fine.

Jon

Just verified this in my lab. The vlans on the client switch will remain on the switch when converted to transparent.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Dave,

Nothing will happen to existing vlan database in a switch when it transitions from client to transparent.

Have look at this:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/4626

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davehall27 wrote:

Thanks

Dave

If you convert the switches to VTP transparent then the switch will write it's vlan database to the running config so you should be fine.

Jon

Just verified this in my lab. The vlans on the client switch will remain on the switch when converted to transparent.

davehall27
Level 1
Level 1

thanks for the confirmation on this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card