cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

question for linux users - SOLVED!

ubuntu_guy
Level 1
Level 1

What if anything do you use to compare 2 or more configs? I've used software called HyperConf (awesome program) under windows but it will not install into Ubuntu(yea I tried wine). it displays 2 configs side by side and will show differences with color, different colors mean different things. Its very simple, and I use it at work pretty regularly, however I'm a linux user outside the office and want something similar for my Ubuntu laptop.

Any comments are welcome, thank you all

Message was edited by: Richard Calvert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Meld Diff Viewer is a very popular graphical diff program. You can compare 2 or 3 files. After installation (sudo apt-get install meld), you can run the viewer from CLI (meld &) or find it under Applications->Programming->Meld Diff Viewer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard,

Check out diff for comparing 2 files and diff3 for comparing three files. They are standard command line tools. I'm not sure how you install things  in Ubuntu, but I think it is apt-get install. So, if you don't have diff, try

sudo apt-get install diff.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers,

Conor

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Meld Diff Viewer is a very popular graphical diff program. You can compare 2 or 3 files. After installation (sudo apt-get install meld), you can run the viewer from CLI (meld &) or find it under Applications->Programming->Meld Diff Viewer.

Diff is what I've found so far and I've found it to be lacking based on the format of the output. I'm installing Meld Diff.

Meld is EXACTLY what I needed, thanks very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: