cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i plug an end node into a trunk port?

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ports on my cisco 4000 series switch. can i use these ports to plug an end node into it?......... or am i unable to use these ports ....

I assume you shouldnt  use the ports.... ( this may be a dumb question)... but i really know after reading about trunking and vlans...

thanks

r davis

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davisr651 wrote:

I have two ports on my cisco 4000 series switch. can i use these ports to plug an end node into it?......... or am i unable to use these ports ....

If your ports on the switch is trunked, then your end device (like a PC or a server) need to be able to do dot.q also.

However if the port is just an access port, then you can simply plug your end device (PC or server) to it without any need for trunking.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switchport is configured as trunk and the encapsulation is 802.1q, the switchport will send untagged packets by using the native vlan. By default, the native vlan on a 802.1q trunk port is vlan 1. If your Vlan 1 is routable, you should be able to plug an end station into these switchports and have connectivity.

If you post the switch config, we can provide more assistance.

Regards

Edison

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davisr651 wrote:

If your ports on the switch is trunked, then your end device (like a PC or a server) need to be able to do dot.q also.

However if the port is just an access port, then you can simply plug your end device (PC or server) to it without any need for trunking.

HTH

Reza

Thank you

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switchport is configured as trunk and the encapsulation is 802.1q, the switchport will send untagged packets by using the native vlan. By default, the native vlan on a 802.1q trunk port is vlan 1. If your Vlan 1 is routable, you should be able to plug an end station into these switchports and have connectivity.

If you post the switch config, we can provide more assistance.

Regards

Edison

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: